so how do I wire 220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so how do I wire 220

I have 4 wire 220 coming out and I need to wire it to 3 wire milling machine. So where does the ground go, So I ran the wire from the (wall 4wire) to where the mill is, and put a box in for the receptacle that is where iam at now

Are you in the United States? If so, there are two hot wires in your set of four. They should be Red and Black, or maybe some other color (but NOT green, thats only for ground). The other two wires are neutral (white) and ground (green). Wire the two hot wires to the L1 and L2 connections on your machine, and the white to the neutral of your machine. Connect the ground to the frame of the machine, usually there is a green screw to do that with, marked with a ground symbol.

This assumes your machine is a single phase, not a three phase machine.

Steve

Comment

3 wire

I am not a pro. but I think you should have 1 ground and 2 hot. Each hot wire should have 110V The ground should be green it hooks to the green screw on the reciprocal the two hot wires would be black & white or red. The fourth wire would be bare copper hook it the the reciprocal box.

Like I say I am not a pro. Wait for other post to make sure I am not telling you wrong.
      Last edited by Machinist-Guide; 12-24-2009, 11:09 AM.
      Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

Ground goes to the green wire on your mill, the 'white' neutral wire from the panel is ignored if your mill is indeed 240v and only has 3 wires.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

oopps I am in the usa

Iam in ca. Brett

Comment

Where are you located , and what kind of machine do you have ?
            Post a picture of the data tag from the motor you want to hook up.
            If you are unsure of what you are doing.....then do NOTHING until someone can get you clearheaded about it. Burnt motors and or dead people are a crappy way to celebrate Christmas

Comment

Good advice from Uncle O. The wiring will depend on whether the supply and/or motor are single or three phase. Either could be supplied by four wires, but connection would be quite different.

If they are not both the same phase configuration, they are not compatible.
              Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle O
                Where are you located , and what kind of machine do you have ?
                Post a picture of the data tag from the motor you want to hook up.
                If you are unsure of what you are doing.....then do NOTHING until someone can get you clearheaded about it. Burnt motors and or dead people are a crappy way to celebrate Christmas
                Agreed make sure of what the motor is wired for single phase or 3 phase.

Comment

As others have said, DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING UP until you find out if your mill is single phase or three phase and what voltage the motor is wired for.

What type mill do you have?
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Three wires are ambigious.

1. Look at the nameplate or data plate and confirm that it is single phase. If it is three phase, post that information and ignore all that I say below.

2. OK, it is single phase. You have confirmed that. Now, two wires are hots and the other is either a safety ground OR neutral. You MUST determine which.

3. An Ohm meter or other continuity checker could be used to see if the third wire is connected to the frame of the machine. If it is, it is a safety ground and should be connected to the green or ground wire.

4. If the machine has any 115 Volt devices in it (light bulb, controls, whatever) then the third wire is probably a neutral. Neutral should be connected to the white wire. This is not 100% because there could be an internal transformer to make the 115 Volts.

5. If you are not 100% sure about the third wire, get some help. Check with the manufacturer or a local person who is familiar with such hookups.

In any case, if the third wire is a neutral, you should ADD a safety ground wire.

Under no circumstances should you connect a neutral connection to a green wire in the box. This is a code violation and a safety hazard.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

My 220 wireing

I have a Grizzly g3617 mill wired foe 220 single phase so that is what Iam trying to wire. Brett

Comment

my wireing 220

The plug wire is white,black,green from the mill the other wire is Black green white red and ground now what Brett

Comment

If the mill is 220v... the black and white correspond to black and red.... White should be, by convention, "neutral" which isn't used in for 220, but only to derive 120 referenced to each of black and red.

Just leave the white unterminated.

But check... by measuring acorss black and red, and double checking the mill is wired for 220 not 120.

And green is ground for both sides, so what do you mean "Green and Ground"? If you have a separate bare ground wire, connect it to the metal of your mill.
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 12-24-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

If it has a 110V light or coolant pump it will legally, according to NEC, require a neutral (white). That is most likely why it has four wires. You will need to add a neutral from the main panel to the plug or box that you are connecting it to to properly wire it up.

Comment

If I read the OP correctly, he only has 3 wires from the mill which would indicate no 120 in use... It sounds like the power from the panel already has the neutral incase required, but...

Brett : Any pictures? Exactly what type of plug is installed on the mill?

Comment

Working...
                              X