• Show
Clear All

• Drilling a Magnet

Hi all
    First wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a prosperous New
    Year.

Now I need to drill a 5/32" hole thru 2 magnets that are about 5/16
    thick.

Is there anything special I need to know ???????????

Am considering using a center cutting carbide end mill so the chips
    do not get stuck on the cutter.

Thanks again
    Graeme

Ummm...don't know if it's going to work or not. What kind of magnets are we talking about?

Comment

What's the magnet made off? metal or "ceramic"?

Comment

cant be done
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I bet Evan can do it

uh oh... now I've gone and done it

Comment

It will reduce the field strength. I am going to try it though but right now I am barbecuing 2 inch thick prime rib steaks in -25 weather.

Later...
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

many if not most common magnets are of a very hard ceramic-like material. You will ruin a HSS bit while putting only a small dent in it. Dont' know if carbide will fare much better.
              You might have better luck using a grinding like action. For example, one of those little cylindrical diamond coated dremel grinding bits

Comment

Ceramic and neo magnets would probley be the two hes considering..
                Id consider something abrasive like a diamond coated hole saw:
                http://richontools.com/images/categories/048161.jpg
                Iv seen small sets of these on sale for like $20~
                Or maybe a masonary bit.. with little pressure, water and a LOT of time.
                Ceramic and neo magnets are exceptionaly brittle, and while I havent drilled them id suspect rather hard.

If its just one of those rubber flexi magnets, likey anything will drill through it, maybe pin it beween two peices of wood to prevent it from snaging as it drills through.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I would try one of these:
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32351
                  "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well, that was a relatively trivial exercise.

I used a specially sharpened micrograin carbide bit left from a broken 1/8" Garr carbide cutter. By using a very long point with two flutes it minimizes the heat buildup with is an enemy of NIB magnets and cutting edges. I ran the drill press at about 100 rpm and used WD 40 as lube. The magnet was held in a pair of vise grips just tight enough to keep it from slipping.

It drills like hard cast iron except the swarf isn't going anywhere. In fact it may just stay attached to the magnet forever.....

I would be careful not to to generate any fumes while doing this. I have a funny feeling that the compound is toxic, possibly very toxic. Use low speed and wet lube. Wash hands after.

Comment

Merry Christmas everyone !

Evan,
                      Nothing like drilling on a full stomach

Mike

Comment

Evan: Oh yes a specaility ground cutter... lol. Any details on how it was made if thats you're solution?
                        Kinda cool regrinding one of those tiny burrs however, never thought about it before, but you can get packs of em for like $5

to get rid of swaff from a magnet I find that a brass brissle brush works, just violently brush it in swinging strokes, like you where spanking a kid, seems to managed to fling the swaff fast enough to prevent it from flying back onto the magnet. Paper towels can also kinda work but don't seem that effective.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I just looked up info on the NIB alloy. I was right. It is very toxic and the alloy is very flammable as well. If it catches fire it burns like misch metal, hot and fast.

That might work for regular swarf but this swarf is magnet swarf. I can't even pinch it off the corner.

Kinda cool regrinding one of those tiny burrs however, never thought about it before, but you can get packs of em for like $5
                          Not Garr you can't. Garr cutters ar 5 to 15 bucks each but they are much harder and sharper than cheap carbide tooling.
                          Last edited by Evan; 12-24-2009, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Woah never knew it was toxic. Or that it could sustain itself burning.
                            Learn something new every day... and good thing too, Or I would be bored out of my mind.

Comment

I just knew Evan could do it... And.. on Xmas eve ... If I went down to the shop tonight, the door would be locked behind me.. hey...

Merry Xmas to all
                              Last edited by lakeside53; 12-25-2009, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X