X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcleere
    • Oct 2008

Tubalcain's Lever Operated Dril Drift

I was watching this gents video on morse tapers and he was using a lever operated drill drift that I thought was cool because it covered many tapers...

Anyone know where one of those can be had?
    I'm in it for the parking....
  • shadoof
    • Oct 2007

Do you have a link to the video or is it a dvd you're watching?

Lee
    I no longer own tools I had.

Comment

• kcleere
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by shadoof
      Do you have a link to the video or is it a dvd you're watching?

Lee
      If you watch this through you'll see him with two different kinds near the end.

I'm in it for the parking....

Comment

• dp
        • Mar 2005

No more driving Morse taper keys with a hammer to remove chucks and tooling. These Semi-auto Morse Taper Keys expand in the key slot by simply pulling down on the handle. Rack and pinion gearing provides gentle control.

Comment

• dockrat
          • Feb 2008

for those tapers that don't have a tang...use a plastic fallers wedge with a slot milled in it and give it a tap with your hammer.

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

• John Stevenson
            • Mar 2001

I have one based on a brass slide hammer, they used to be vary popular here but I have done a search and can't find one to link to.

Mine came from a works clearout with some of the lever ones but all the lever ones were broken so never had the chance to try one.

This slide hammer one is very old and battered but works everytime, simple one handed operation even on very stuck tapers.

I'll get a picture tomorrow and post it, they would be very easy to replicate, far easier than the lever type.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• John Stevenson
              • Mar 2001

OK pretty pictures.

Sorry I didn't file all the marks off and polish it but it's been in use too long, clearly marked Bargon hammer drift but Google doesn't pick that up.

Second pic to show the insides.

And last pic to show the spring arrangement better.

In use you push down on the hammer handle and the spring extends until the top of the drift hits the top of the hammer head, typical slide hammer action.

Crap video here of it removing a MT2 drill from a MT4 sleeve, doesn't show a lot as it's so quick and normally one handed if it's in a quill or tailstock. Done it a couple of times to show, sorry for the quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qunwxRttzE
              Last edited by John Stevenson; 12-27-2009, 09:28 AM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Forrest Addy
                • Oct 2002

Here' the exact thing:

Pretty spendy but the import ones like I have are about $45.

Comment

• John Stevenson
                  • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                  Here' the exact thing:

Pretty spendy but the import ones like I have are about $45.
                  Yes that's the lever one, anyone seen the slide hammer type I posted ?
                  I had about 3 or 4 lever type but all had missing teeth off the rack so I never had a chance to try them, had two of these slide hammer types but one has gone walk about.

Comment

• JCHannum
                    • Nov 2001

The slide hammer is something I haven't seen on this side of the Atlantic, it is interesting.

As to the lever type, they turn up here and there but a well stuck MT will still require agressive use of an engineer's hammer to remove and even that will fail at times. That might account for the stripped teeth.
                    Jim H.

Comment

• Black_Moons
                      • Aug 2009

Mmm, those lever types look like they could do with replacing the rack with a thread, and replaceing the lever with a nut, and like a giant wingnut (tabs welded onto a large nut works wonders, and can still let a wrench onto the nut for high torque) or tommy bar.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• dp
                        • Mar 2005

Here's a modern slide hammer version. http://www.drillspot.com/products/50...per_drift_tool

I think I'd prefer not to knock on my machines too hard. I may discover inclusions and weaknesses I'd rather not know about Then again, none of my tapers are slotted or tanged - all use drawbolts. Banging on them is doing enough damage. http://metalworkingathome.com/?p=42

Comment

Working...
                        X