Noob knurling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob knurling questions

#1 I like the clamp type vs the push type because it won't put pressure on anything but the task if centered.
    Am I on the right track ?

#2 The knurling I did in high school was a bit dodgy as I recall but I've seen some amazing straight knurling pics on this site which seem almost impossible. Do the wheels kindof make the diameter right so the pitch works out? Seems to me work circumference needs to be a multiple of knurling wheel circumference or there will be a gap and double cutting and a mess.

#3 I spend real money if it makes a real difference. ie I have Mitutoyo calipers and micrometer but a Chinese lathe. Is a knurling tool something one needs to spend real money on or is something like this OK?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Clamp type is definately better then push type in all but one respect:
    Push type can do really large diamiters, clamp type is limited by clamp size.

I think for straight knurls the guy does make them the right correct diamiter..
    And even then sometimes has problems tracking

for diamond knurls you can just mash it and get decent results... Yea I think you may end up with a 'half' knurl along the way that looks ulgy but you have to look carefuly to spot it, and some real knurling (see cheap chinese) has defects too. Its not designed to make things pertty

Some people say yes you need to calculate exact diamiters yadayada, others say just mash it in and it works fine. It likey does work fine just mashed if you don't mind the odd tiny defect.

Not sure about quality.. You might have to ream out and replace a pin or two if its sloppy, I can't see what else would be wrong with it. its a pertty simple tool and you could easily make your own.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

You do get a better knurl when the pitch of the wheel and the diameter match but you can force a knurl to come out good.

As to the clamp type to push type the clamp is easier on the lathe.

As to the tool in your link, can you hold a 3/4" shank in your tool holder. That is the size of the shank in the link. If you have a BXA QCTP it will take a 5/8" shank but I milled one of my BXA holders to take a 3/4" shank.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

a tip

When using the push type tool kick the tool around a couple deg. so only the front corner is doing all the work and power feed. Your feed should be equal to the pitch of the cutters on the rolls.

One more thing some rolls cut and some form if you are using a form roll, line #2 in your post becomes very important.
        Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

Thanks guys:

I'm going to get the BusyBee one. It goes plenty big enough for me and my toolholder takes a 3/4 shank no trouble.

Mike
          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

i have 2 seperate straight bar types and they work rather well and i can also flip mine to make different knurles as well and iam not limited to the diamerter that a clamp stye is , the set at busy bee in your link are very good and well do well but you will be limited in the diameter you do , id pick up both styles and get your self some different wheels as well ..

Comment

checkering

Anouther thing you can do with what I call the old school type is rig up a holder to mount it on the head of your mill and you can do flat knurls sort of like checkering a gun stock. Mount the tool vertical and use the mill knee to apply pressure to the work piece and feed with the table.
              Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

Don't have a mill yet but thanks for helping me decide!

That's next.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X