R8 tool stuck in spindle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8 tool stuck in spindle!

Help - I went to remove an R8 tool and I couldn't get it to release from the spindle. It will spin (my mill doesn't have a key for collets). The tool is a one piece R8 tool, so its not in a collet or end mill holder.

In desperation I'm trying to remove the spindle but that isn't going so well either. I've gotten the threaded shaft with the fine adjustments for quill depth and quill stops removed. Same for the piece that's attached to the quill and through which the fine adjust shaft passes. Draw bar is out. The quill drops almost all the way out then stops.

Johnny

Thats strange

Is it possible a small screw , nut or washer dropped down the hole as you were installing the spindle causing to lock on the top taper going thru the bottom taper? I would look at it and see if it looks like its kicking to the side as you try to remove it. If so get a piece of cardboard and try to push whatever is in there up to clear the taper then it should fall out upon spindle removal. Just a thought, I can't think of anything else if its free. You wouldn't have the clearance for a magnet. Good luck, John

Comment

Originally posted by JTToner
      Help - I went to remove an R8 tool and I couldn't get it to release from the spindle. It will spin (my mill doesn't have a key for collets). The tool is a one piece R8 tool, so its not in a collet or end mill holder.

Johnny
      Have You tried supporting the the end of the spindle with a piece of hardwood against the table, and then with the drawbar loosend a few turns rap the top of the drawbar with a heavy(8-10lb.) hammer? Not like Your'e trying to drive it into the floor, but a good firm smack.

I'm not sure what good removing the spindle would do.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
        Have You tried supporting the the end of the spindle with a piece of hardwood against the table, and then with the drawbar loosend a few turns rap the top of the drawbar with a heavy(8-10lb.) hammer? Not like Your'e trying to drive it into the floor, but a good firm smack.
        +1

I'm guessing your spindle has a tiny key or button that acts as a key -- most R8 collets have a petite keyway. If your mill has the little key, and if you installed the collet with the keyway misaligned with the key, and tightened it up that way, that would explain why it is now stuck.

Dunno why they put the key in there, it isn't necessary and only causes problems -- speaking as someone who has been there, done that (and used a rubber deadblow hammer on the drawbar to knock the stuck collet loose).

Comment

Wait, you can remove R8 tools from the spindle *without* hiting the drawbar? :P
          news to me!
          (I do actualy recall now my spindle seems to have a drift slot in it...)
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I forgot to mention, the mill is a very old, (serial #SE-1079), Lagun FT-1. I've had it two years and never had any problems. As for the reason I'm removing the spindle is that I'll probably have to have the tool pressed out. I've gone far beyond common sense it tapping on the draw bar. I tried supporting the bottom of the spindle on aluminum blocks leaving clearance for the R8 tool to pass out, then with much more force than I'll admit to, I "tapped" on the draw bar with an 8# hammer - nothing. What's weird is that I can spin the tool while the spindle is stationary.

Johnny
            Last edited by JTToner; 12-27-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTToner
              , I "tapped" on the draw bar with an 8# hammer - nothing. What's weird is that I can spin the tool while the spindle is stationary.

Johnny
              O K , tighten the tool back up in the spindle and cut it off flush with the end of the spindle. Center drill and then drill it out by putting the drill in the vise sharp end up. You might need cobalt or carbide depending on how tough the tool shank is.

Steve

Comment

That quill is held in on top of the machine and thru the handle feed and gear that is behind it. The quill stop, screw and such are not what actually holds it in the machine. As far as tapping the R8 tool out, loosen the drawbar about 1-2 full turns then take a bronze/brass hammer and wack the crap out of the top of the drawbar.

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                  O K , tighten the tool back up in the spindle and cut it off flush with the end of the spindle. Center drill and then drill it out by putting the drill in the vise sharp end up. You might need cobalt or carbide depending on how tough the tool shank is.

Steve
                  This is a horrible idea!!!
                  Please, please do not do this.

Comment

As I understand it, an R8 device is spinning in the spindle when you're trying to remove it. Can you spot weld (ting/mig/whatever) a piece of CRS to the end of the R8 whatever it is, and clamp that in your vise to keep it from rotating while you loosen your drawbar? Normally, the taper in an R8 spindle will keep a tool/collet from rotating while you loosen the drawbar, and the keyway on the R8 shank is mainly there as a locating device, not an anti-rotation device. At this point, the R8 collet, or whatever it is, is sacrificial compared to a major teardown/meltdown of your mill's head!

David
                    David Kaiser
                    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Mcruff
                      That quill is held in on top of the machine and thru the handle feed and gear that is behind it. The quill stop, screw and such are not what actually holds it in the machine. As far as tapping the R8 tool out, loosen the drawbar about 1-2 full turns then take a bronze/brass hammer and wack the crap out of the top of the drawbar.
                      If the tool is stuck in the spindle and he has allready beat the crap out of it and the tool will not come out but it turns freely ,why would it be a bad idea to drill out the tool from the spindle?

Steve

Comment

Does the tool rotate 360 degree inside the spindle or just wobbles a bit?
                        Did you try to rotate the tool a bit between each blow of the hummer?

Comment

Sounds like the thread of the drawbar has seized in the collet.
                          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

What you're suggesting Peter is that the drawbar can't come out, and he's just banging on the top of the spindle when he wacks the drawbar?
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Yes, I can't think of any reason why a collet could spin but not fall out other than that.
                              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                              X