Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got myself a lathe.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finally got myself a lathe.

    Well after years of wanting one, I finally bought one today. It's an old Hercus, Southbend copy. Now the learning begins. I need to get a tool post, was thinking of getting an AXA quickchange? What do you all think?

  • #2


    Comment


    • #3
      Whats the swing of the lathe? And more importantly, distance from the tip of a center (ie the center of your lathe spindle) to the top of where your tool post attachs? that will determin what size to get
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks a very nice &handy machine for at home The condition looks very good, Well done and every success with your new machine

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow! Is that a picture from some 1950's archive? It looks much too nice!


          The AXA vs BXA depends on the swing of the lathe. Is that an 8 inch lathe?

          Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice lathe I know you will enjoy it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks guys.

              Its an 9" lathe. Let me know what I need to measure? I'm all new to this.

              The reason its so nice, is the guy I just got it from just finished restoring it.

              Many thanks.

              Will

              Comment


              • #8
                parrisw,

                Might be helpful...

                http://bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=89

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mike Burdick
                  parrisw,

                  Might be helpful...

                  http://bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=89
                  Many many thanks man!!! That's awesome, I got some reading to do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    very nice looking lathe. the paint and cleaning was obviously done by someone with skill and who cared. i would get one of the axa knockoffs and start out turning real slow. the frustration it saves over learning with a lantern holder is unmeasurable. get yourself a bunch of HSS tool blanks a good grinder and a magnifier to inspect them under and it will be like a whole other hobby. i get a lot of satisfaction in grinding tools for specific jobs and metals. you learn a lot and the cost is low. i got about three lifetimes worth of HSS blanks in a couple boxes of junk at an auction years ago for $35. if you stop by my house you can have a couple hand fulls.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Roy Andrews
                      very nice looking lathe. the paint and cleaning was obviously done by someone with skill and who cared. i would get one of the axa knockoffs and start out turning real slow. the frustration it saves over learning with a lantern holder is unmeasurable. get yourself a bunch of HSS tool blanks a good grinder and a magnifier to inspect them under and it will be like a whole other hobby. i get a lot of satisfaction in grinding tools for specific jobs and metals. you learn a lot and the cost is low. i got about three lifetimes worth of HSS blanks in a couple boxes of junk at an auction years ago for $35. if you stop by my house you can have a couple hand fulls.

                      Thanks for the tips. Sounds like a good offer on the HSS but, I think you may be a little far away from me. Now I got to figure out what pully's do what to the speed? Not sure on the RPM range of this unit.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nice one!!

                        Parrisw, what part of the world are you in?

                        Oh, by the way, I think Southbend Copied our very successful HERCUS lathes!!
                        Michael

                        Australia

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          An AXA-sized QCTP would be excellent for an 8" lathe. For a BXA you need to be at least 12-13". ENCO and CDCO have kits with the toolpost and several holders. You can find the holders on sale for as little a $9.00 each from time to time.

                          I bought a Phase II from Enco in 1994 and I've now got 14 holders with more to be added. Mine is a wedge type and it is very solid and easy to use.

                          When you get your QCTP, you'll have a little machining to do to make the base fit on the compound since they give you a universal base that requires fitting. It's not difficult to do if you have a mill or access to one.

                          That's a beautiful acquisition. Enjoy it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gnm109
                            An AXA-sized QCTP would be excellent for an 8" lathe. For a BXA you need to be at least 12-13". ENCO and CDCO have kits with the toolpost and several holders. You can find the holders on sale for as little a $9.00 each from time to time.

                            I bought a Phase II from Enco in 1994 and I've now got 14 holders with more to be added. Mine is a wedge type and it is very solid and easy to use.

                            When you get your QCTP, you'll have a little machining to do to make the base fit on the compound since they give you a universal base that requires fitting. It's not difficult to do if you have a mill or access to one.

                            That's a beautiful acquisition. Enjoy it!
                            Thanks. I don't have acess to a mill, I could take it to a machine shop though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by miker
                              Parrisw, what part of the world are you in?

                              Oh, by the way, I think Southbend Copied our very successful HERCUS lathes!!
                              I live in Canada. On Vancouver Island.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X