I'd like to build a carriage stop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lakeside53
    Stops are very useful if you have a feed clutch. I'll often use the stop/cluch for aggressive roughing.
    Bad idea and poor advice. The feed clutch is not intended for use as a release.

Use the carriage stop as Carld describes. Disengage the feed before the stop is contacted and hand feed to bump against the stop.
    Jim H.

Comment

Here's a turret style carriage stop from a South Bend lathe I sold a few years back. Very nice unit, the core rotates with spring loaded ball detents at the screw locations, ball oiler on top. This type can be very handy for multiple shoulders, groove locations, etc. Den

nudder view ...

Last edited by nheng; 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
        Bad idea and poor advice. The feed clutch is not intended for use as a release...
        I agree as it creates wear on the clutch as well as impact and wear on the gears and other drive components. BUT, it is recommended in more than one lathe manual or machining text.

Comment

Carriage stops are not designed to 'stop you smashing' into the chuck, theres no excuse to ever let your tool feed into it unless your working within 1mm of the chuck. And then you should be using softjaws so it would be ok to hit the chuck as you should know its not sane to work that close with hard jaws

Carriage stops are designed for repeatively stoping the carriage under *very* light manual force (And often can be pumped outta place by a hard feed, Hmm, next project, bigger better carriage stop clamp..), for things like turning to a consistant shoulder over multiple passes.

Especialy useful when doing stuff like boring to a fixed depth, or doing wide grove features on an inside bore (I wish I had two for that!)

That said, people have made automatic carriage stops, but they do NOT use the typical feed clutch. they use thier own (custom added) dog arrangement on the feed gearbox to posatively disengage the feed on a electronic or mechanical signal.. And they have been known to screw up resulting in crashs into the chuck, especialy when first testing.
          Personaly iv kinda wanted to try one that uses pnumatics to just flip my feed levers after an electronic switch is toggled (electric air solanoid).. But id likey do something stupid like try and use it with my compressor turned off and pressured down..
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Various lathes have been built with 'feed knockoffs'.

My Harrison has an overload clutches on both the power feed shaft and the leadscrew. The one on the power feed is adjustable and with the micrometer carriage stop tightened well up you could use it as a feed stop. As a rule I don't, but when turning a long shaft, or using a very fine feed, there is a temptation to do something else. Once I tied a bit of string to the carriage and arranged it to operate an alarm clock bell near the end of cut.
            Paul Compton
            www.morini-mania.co.uk
            http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Gez, get a stopwatch
              RPM * feed rate * worklength yadayada.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Read the OP's original post.
                No where does he state he wants to go for coffee and let his carriage go along it's merry way before it goes crashing into the headstock!

He just wants a simple carriage stop that will possibly accept a dial indicator. One he can build without the aid of a milling machine if possible.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Go to post 9 before you jump Willy

"What I want is something to stop the carriage before it hits the chuck "

Regards Ian
                  Last edited by Circlip; 12-30-2009, 11:46 AM.
                  You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Stop it

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                    OK, found that but I'm thinking it's a carriage 'lock'. What I want is something to stop the carriage before it hits the chuck or to mount a dial indicator to watch movement.

Maybe I have the terminology wrong.

Mike
                    Mike,

there is some confusion among some here who seem to think that you are relying on hitting the stop under power(ed) feed and having the stop cause your feed to be disengaged.

I can't see where you've said that.

I presumed that you were going to bring the carriage up to and touch the stop using the hand-power carriage feed wheel - even if you were using power feed - which would have (to) be disengaged just before you hit the stop.

I have the same lathe (no power feed other than the lead-screw).

As matters of purely personal preference:
                    I don't use the lead-screw and screw-cutting facility for power feed;

I don't like using a dial indicator excessively on a vibrating machine as it does not improve the indicator; and

I set physical stops (clamps and/or screws etc.) as my stops.

There are a lot of satisfactory ways of doing these things and it is up to the individual/you to make his/your own judgments and to use what suits him for the job at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                      Bad idea and poor advice. The feed clutch is not intended for use as a release.

Use the carriage stop as Carld describes. Disengage the feed before the stop is contacted and hand feed to bump against the stop.

Yes, you're right... I didn't type what I really meant! I thought it was slightly tongue-in-cheek - it was a bit misleading, but soon corrected by others!

That's usually what do... I should have said "when aggressive roughing"... In other words, it happens now and then (operator error) and the stop saves the work - NOT as a routine matter. Without the feed clutch, something would break. A friend of mine won't use a stop - he's seen a lathe with a chunk broken out of the bed (I'm betting either the shear pin was replaced with "something stronger", or the clutch was frozen).

My small Emco V10P actually works well when using the clutch against the stop, and is an [Emco] recommend procedure... it does of course assume you have adjusted the clutch correctly - most I've see haven't ever been cleaned or adjusted. My big lathe has a ratcheting type clutch and feeding on purpose against a stop would be dumb at best. Does wake you up though
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 10-17-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

"Hello, my name is 914Wilhelm and I am a carriage crasher."

I've done it at least one time and only destroyed some aluminum casting around the switches, easily fixed, never banged into the spinning chuck; thank you jesus. Scared the fecal material from my bowels though. I am cogitating about placing a trip lever near my headstock that will trip the emergency brake routine on my VFD. Make it adjustable much like a carriage stop for different tool overhang. Not intending to use this as my primary reminder to stop the feed, I know I should use my basic level of alertness to do that job. However, I fell off the alertness bandwagon once and I'll probably do it again.
                        Last edited by 914Wilhelm; 12-30-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I had a recollection of a simple carriage stop I'd seen but which was not featured. Found it again on Bob's CNC Cookbook page. Look at the left side of this picture on the way:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMiscProjects.htm

Comment

Kant-twist 'em

Dennis.

Here is Bob Warfield's pic you referred to:

I use those "Kant-Twist" clamps everywhere. They have copper jaws, screws and nuts and will grip anything very well and they will not "mark" stuff.

I use them on the lathe, mill, pedestal-drill, welding, around the house etc. - everywhere.

http://www.clampmfg.com/

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...&oq=kant-twist

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                              Dennis.

Here is Bob Warfield's pic you referred to:
                              I didn't want to suck up his bandwidth by directly linking the picture but yes, that's it. I like those clamps but lordy are they ever proud of them.

Comment

I used the Kant-Twist clamps for a stop for a long time until one day I needed a micrometer stop and had to make one. Sure am glad I was forced to make one.
                                It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                                X