I'd like to build a carriage stop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to build a carriage stop.

I've searched around here and haven't found anything.

Sort of like this one but I don't see the need to go across both ways.

I will want to change out the stop for a dial indicator. I have a Craftex B2227L.

Pics anyone?

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Hi Mike, there are a number of them here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...=carriage+stop

I just entered "carriage stop" into the search function.

Rgds
    Michael

Australia

Comment

Thanks miker:

A bit strange I'm talking with somebody on the other side of the planet! I tried your search and got almost 300 threads(none of which look like what I want from the title). Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

All the pics on the thread you pointed me to require a mill to build.

Not complaining, might have to buy one of those as well!

Mike
      Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Motorrad---I have the same lathe, and I built a carriage stop for it and posted it on this forum. In fact, I built one as well for the other axis of travel on the same lathe and posted it on here. Do a search under my name.---Brian
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

Mike, your not doing anything wrong in the search. I knew that particular thread was there somewhere and others like it. Just opened a few till I hit it.

Yes, a mill does seem to be neccessary, but I'm sure a lot have been made without the use of a mill. Maybe a Jigsaw or (shudder) a Hacksaw etc to make the V cut out.

Rgds
          Michael

Australia

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow
            Motorrad---I have the same lathe, and I built a carriage stop for it and posted it on this forum. In fact, I built one as well for the other axis of travel on the same lathe and posted it on here. Do a search under my name.---Brian
            Found your carriage stop thread and saved the pics. I'm going to build one with a jigsaw and a file. I'm pretty good with a file.

Thanks,
            Mike
            Mike

Comment

Just looked at the pics again. I don't think I can make that pretty without a mill.

Brian: How did you get the sawcut for the dial indicator clamp so straight?

Mike
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                I've searched around here and haven't found anything.

Sort of like this one but I don't see the need to go across both ways.

I will want to change out the stop for a dial indicator. I have a Craftex B2227L.

Pics anyone?

Thanks
                Mike
                your b2227l already has a built in carraige stop.. look for the nut int he middle under your cross slide its the only one there you will see in fact parts of the stop over haing remove the nut drop the plate down flip it so it cross's the ways and reattach the nut now to make it better added in a spring so you can spring load the plate this way it wont flop around on you and you will only need a 1/4 turn left or right to tighten or losen it ,, pretty simple

Comment

OK, found that but I'm thinking it's a carriage 'lock'. What I want is something to stop the carriage before it hits the chuck or to mount a dial indicator to watch movement.

Maybe I have the terminology wrong.

Mike
                  Mike

Comment

You could modify my carriage stop for a dial indicator but if you use a dial indicator it's not really a carriage stop. Having a firm stop to run the carriage against has more benefits than just a dial indicator.

It's only ink and paper

Comment

If you have a lathe you can do basic milling. Clamp your piece to an angle plate on your cross slide and mill away.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                        OK, found that but I'm thinking it's a carriage 'lock'. What I want is something to stop the carriage before it hits the chuck or to mount a dial indicator to watch movement.

Maybe I have the terminology wrong.

Mike
                        ok here is the deal you say you want something to stop the carriage before it hits the chuck , my opnion watch what your doing and it wont happen ,if you have a moving carriage and it comes to a stop by a device such as you are wanitng.. its going to to cause damage likey to the brass half nut or worse,

if you are in front of a machine thats doing a job you never turn your back to it ever,,

Comment

Stops are very useful if you have a feed clutch. I'll often use the stop/cluch for aggressive roughing.

Comment

It sounds as if you want to be doing something else while the lathe is doing its own thing.

The carriage stop you need is called CNC.

Regards Ian.
                            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

MotorradMike, I have to agree with others, on a manual lathe there is nothing that will stop the carriage except you. Only a few lathes were designed for a manual automatic stop and they are rare.

Clamping something on the way will not stop the carriage in power feed from hitting the chuck. Only you disengaging the power feed will stop the carriage. Some lathes have a slip clutch on the feeds and using that will wear it out as it's not designed to be used like that. Some lathes have a shear pin in the feed screw but you don't want to have to replace a shear pin for each cut you make.

What it boils down to is YOUR going to have to start and stop the carriage where you want it to. The other option is to buy a CNC lathe.

A carriage stop like the one I posted is a positive stop that you manually hand feed the carriage up to. You can use the power feed within about 1/2" and disengage the feed and hand feed it to the stop. I usually power feed within 1/4" or less but I have a lot of practice doing it.

You need a CNC lathe.
                              Last edited by Carld; 12-30-2009, 10:37 AM.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X