Grizzly's new South Bends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly's new South Bends

Just got my new Grizzly catologe and there are the new South Bend lathes in there. Of course they are way out of my price range with the cheapest at over 18 K.
    mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

I dont think the "real" south bend's are out yet- just a few rebadged chinese 14" and bigger machines.

Pricewise, the last american made Heavy 10 was priced at about $16,000, and that was over 5 years ago.
    My guess is the new Heavy 10 will be less than that, closer to $10k.

Supposedly they will be here in the spring.

Comment

What size is the machine? I guess its not the new belt drive 10k or heavy 10, must be the gear head units.
      Was it one of these Taiwan made South Bends?

Comment

Apart from the writing on the side what part is real southbend.It sure doesn't look like an original southbend maybe I'm wrong though.Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

These look very much like the South Bend geared head (Turn Nado and Nordic) lathes that were sold in the 70's, 80's and into the 90's. They were completely different than the old belt drive lathes but they were at least partially designed by South Bend but were built overseas in Taiwan I believe.
          Last edited by Mcruff; 12-30-2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

When I went out to the mailbox today, the Grizz catalog was there, and I read it while eating lunch.

These do bear some resemblance to the old Turnado's.
            I have run a Turnado, and I must say that it didnt wow me- it seemed very similar to my large Jet- which is ZX series, and retails for around $15k.
            By comparison, the equivalent new South Bend is $35,000 for an 18x60 like my Jet- and that is without taper attachment, collet closer, or DRO's.
            A fully equipped South Bend Turnado would probably be $40k.
            Now if you read the specs, it has hardened and ground ways, NSK bearings, and digitally controlled variable speed motor- but it still weighs in a good 1200 pounds lighter than my Jet.

Since I only paid $2500, new, for my Jet- it was a special one time deal- I cannot imagine that the South Bend is worth 15 times as much- but maybe someone will pay.

It appears to be the best quality manual lathe that Grizz can source out of Taiwan, but I am not convinced its worth $35k. Competition at that price range includes the eastern Euro lathes like Summit, Lion, Tos, and the like- all of which have pretty good reputations.
            For not much more, you could get a complete rebuild on an older American Lathe- Yancey, in Portland, was doing complete ground up rebuilds on bigger american lathes for around $50k.

I am still waiting to see the Heavy 10, though. Should be interesting.

Comment

I have been looking at these through Acra Machinery. http://www.acramachinery.com/Manual_...00-1600TVS.htm
              Looks like it is made by this company. http://http://www.acra.com.tw/frejot...18b2b5cf6ea47b
              It is listed as made in Tiawan. They list made in China and made in Tiawan machines. This is the same machine that was being sold as a South Bend before it was bought by Mr. Grizzly.

Roger

Comment

What does a Haas TL-1 cost?

Glenn
                So many projects . . . so little ambition! Arroyo Grande, CA

Comment

lots......
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

That lathe is nothing new, it has been around for a while and there are other companies that sell similar lathes. The Acra is one that is suspiciously close,

Both lathes are very similar to the lathes manufactured in Taiwan by Win-Ho,

http://www.win-ho.com/

http://www.win-ho.com/p-inverter.html

I got a quote on the Southbend 5 years ago and with all the options I wanted, like a DRO, taper, collet closer, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, Holdridge radius cutter and mic stop it was cheaper to buy a new Haas TL-1.
                    Mark Hockett

Comment

That was a very special one time deal at $2,500 for a new 18x60 Jet. It's not really fair to compare a very special one time deal with the regular retail price of another machine now is it? What was the regular price of the jet?

Phil

Originally posted by Ries
                      By comparison, the equivalent new South Bend is $35,000 for an 18x60 like my Jet- and that is without taper attachment, collet closer, or DRO's.
                      - but it still weighs in a good 1200 pounds lighter than my Jet.

Since I only paid $2500, new, for my Jet- it was a special one time deal- I cannot imagine that the South Bend is worth 15 times as much- but maybe someone will pay.

Comment

Haas TL1 was about 30K fully tooled up last time I checked for a quote.
                        CCBW, MAH

Comment

This is the Grizzly version but it doesn't say anything about South Bend.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-X...ed-Lathe/G0670

Also, "South Bend" doesn't show up in a search of the Grizzly online catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by spope14
                            Haas TL1 was about 30K fully tooled up last time I checked for a quote.
                            The Haas TL-1 is made in Taiwan.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                              The Haas TL-1 is made in Taiwan.
                              My TL-1 has "Made in the USA" right on the back splash panel. The coolant pump is made in Taiwan and the linear ways are made in Germany though.
                              Mark Hockett

Comment

Working...
                              X