Some pics of excellent craftmanship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pics of excellent craftmanship

Not my work, but the work of South West Cues in Las Vegas. I ordered this cue in 1999 and just now got it. I ordered this about the time I started playing around with cue repair...

I wont give the exact cost for various reasons but its near the 3k mark.

Last edited by cuemaker; 12-30-2009, 07:01 PM.

Originally posted by cuemaker
    I ordered this cue in 1999 and just now got it.
    It took a decade to make that??? I hope you didn't pay a lot up front.

Comment

Blimey if it took that long I'd forgot how to play!!!

Peter
      I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Well, I ordered in 1999.. at that time the expected wait was 7yrs.. It doesnt take long to build one... Really depends on how your are setup to make cue, how long you let them hang, wood movement etc (3 months)... this one took about 12 months from the time I paid the deposit to the time I got it....

Comment

It's certainly gorgeous.

Comment

Are those special threads to screw the cue together?

Rob

Comment

Mighty fine looking cue stick.

Don't you make cue sticks too?
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Rob, yes they are... They are rolled by a company in San Diego, dont remember who..

Carld, I used to make cuesticks until I had to sell everything a few years ago. I am now trying to rebuild everything. I ordered this before I was really into it. My sell price on a cue like this would be about 800 plus 200 for the joint protectors,,,, or so... but then no one knows my name...

Comment

Expensive wood sticks

Comment

Beautiful workmanship.

Curious cuemaker, do these tend to gain in value over time beyond inflation?

Ken

Comment

Very nice! Do they make you play better?

I have a cousin that makes custom wood furniture, etc. He has had his work displayed at the National Gallery of Art, in Washington. He did a conference table for CNN's headquarters years ago with ebony, ivory, and silver inlays. He also did inlaid murals in 44 doors used in the state capital building of one of the New England states (can't remember, Vermont, maybe?)

I thought about buying a set of his salt & pepper shakers for my wife, but I couldn't afford them.

Comment

Very nice looking cues. I like mine a lil slimmer on the fore end but Im sure the craftsman that made those could make them to any specs you desire. Nice work!!! JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Yes, expensive cues do shoot better. Well, at least to the limit of the player.

If you suck it dont matter how much you spend on a cue.

I think a friend of mine has a cue from SouthWest Cues, cant remember for sure. I stopped playing a few years ago. Still have a 7' bar box in my front room though. Makes a great work table!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                            Beautiful workmanship.

Curious cuemaker, do these tend to gain in value over time beyond inflation?

Ken
                            Really depends on the maker, the quality and condition. IMHO this is an example of pent up demand for a very high quality product. Yes, it will hold its value as long as its kept in the same condition. It will increase when the maker passes...

Example, Gus Szamboti... his cues in the 60's and 70's sold from as low as $50 to maybe $500+ before he got really famous.. Then he died early... Now, a cue that sold new for $106, in excellent shape with original invoice and shipping box recently sold for $5000 ish.....But there are other quality to his cue sticks other than age...

South West is really known for being a "players" cue in how it feels in the hands during and after the shot (which all comes down to transmission of vibration)

Comment

What is with the butt plugs? Seems unnecessary. Just for bling??

--Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X