super fine homemade tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super fine homemade tap

wanting to do ever more accurate work, I made these taps. They're 1000tpi, so fine you can barely see the threads. my hope to make feed screws with it and with 100 divisions on the dial to work to 1/100,000 of inch. haven't decided whether to put in on the unimat or standard modern...the monarch will get the next gen finer version so i can work to a millionth

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

and remember....
    NEVER EVER NEVER DROP THEM.

Comment

Uh oh - those are right-hand threaded. Better start over!

Comment

I think unless you work in a temperature controlled room, thermal expansion is going to make working to those sorts of levels impossible..

I may be wrong though...
        Precision takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer
          I think unless you work in a temperature controlled room, thermal expansion is going to make working to those sorts of levels impossible..

I may be wrong though...
          He's from Canada, so working to millionths is only possible in the spring and fall. Summer, and full on winter, are too drastic of temperature differentials for such fine work....

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
            He's from Canada, so working to millionths is only possible in the spring and fall.
            Unless he has really hard concrete
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Hmmm, well, it looks like you did a fine job of grinding off the threads on a factory made tap. What are you going to use them for, reaming?
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

It's a little hard to see- those are acme threads, aren't they?

Not to pick your work apart, but the 453'rd thread in has an atom out of place. Probably a neutrino passed by while you were cutting it.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                  He's from Canada, so working to millionths is only possible in the spring and fall. Summer, and full on winter, are too drastic of temperature differentials for such fine work....

Hey Dan, didin't Mcgyver say something about a summer and winter set???

UHHHH, lets see now 1000 tpi = .001 inch travel per revolution. I shure hope you got a rapid travel on that machine!!! Otherwise you would need a calander to time the movements if done by a hand crank!!!

Hummmmm, seems like they would be kinda easy to strip, HUH?

Well now my next question is,,,,WHY???

Your friend, Doggie

Comment

Tapping

Lemmee cee?

Ya gonna tap, ream out and screw the blonde up the road?

Comment

Actually, he's having fun with you guys. Those are actually taps for making pre-stripped threads, such as those found on aluminum cylinder heads.

Note they're both 'bottoming' taps, so they're meant for pre-stripping shallow blind holes.

Doc.
                      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

On the blonde?

Comment

great responses, lol!

i can't deceive you guys any longer. I didn't make them, came out a T&D makers box who worked where they made P&W cutting tools.

I have no idea if he kept them as a curiosity or if they served some purpose, gauging or what not....anyway i got a kick out of the responses
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

For Cadillac norstar head bolt and main bolt holes

Comment

Well, mac, I'll tell ya, I've heard of full floating threads before. However, these are the first taps I've ever seen that would cut them! Better get them on Ebay quick. You're sitting on a fortune.................

TC
                              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                              Oregon, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X