I'm warm now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm warm now....

No more cold mornings in the shop. The kerosene Reddy-type heater just wasn't making it any more. It's a 40-mile round trip here just to get the kerosene, and that's almost $5 per gallon. At .8 gal. per hour, it was killing me to keep my toesies warm. Never mind the carbon monoxide and the noise.

So the propane company showed up today to make the connections to my Sterling Garage Guy. I went for this brand since the separated combustion is already part of the design -- you don't have to pay a whole lot more just to get it. Separated combustion means the air for the flame is drawn from the outside, not the shop. This is worthwhile if you're going to have flammable vapors or sawdust in the shop. The latter is more likely with me.

The house propane tank was only about 25 feet from the shop so it was a simple matter to rent a trencher and get a line from that tank to the shop. (Although I do admit to getting the trencher stuck in the trench and having to have my neighbor bring over his Bobcat to lift it out.) The propane company supplied and installed the underground line after I dug the trench.

I ordered the Sterling GG heater from littlegreenhouse.com for $535 but the shipping added about $150 to that. I also got the concentric vent kit, a thermostat and flex connection from them. In retrospect, I don't think the vent kit was worth the money ($240 plus shipping). (The concentric vent box is on the far left in the first photo, the other stuff in the kit is also shown.) I could have just run a second vent to a second roof jack. The only advantage is one hole in the roof instead of two, and perhaps a little bonus from slightly warmer intake air, which in this climate is not an issue.

Installation was easy. I hired someone to help since I don't have anyone else available. The guy was a sheet metal man so he did the vent work while I did the piping and electrical. The whole install not counting the trench was about 8 hours worth of work.

I notice that most of the hot air stays up above the trusses, so I'll get a couple of old ceiling fans from the Habitat for Humanity salvage place in town to stir things up a little. Also on the list of things to do is to is to install some foil insulation under the roof to cut down on loss there. I bought some foil-bubble-foil stuff of the type used for steel buildings. Some time in the future I may blow some insulation behind the uninsulated drywall but since winter temps here rarely run below 28 or so that's a little lower on the priority list.

Nice heater! I still use wood and have to make a fire first before I can start working.

I do allot of car work and I have allot of waste oil all the time. I have been thinking of getting a waste oil heater for the shop.
    Andy

Comment

I thought about waste oil, but since the propane was right there, this is so easy. I can come out before breakfast, flip on the thermostat, and by the time I've finished the oatmeal, the place will be nice and cozy. We only have about three months of cold weather each year anyway, so the cost won't be all that much.

Comment

nice furnace. you don't say where you are in your heading however. . . 28 the lowest ? i'd probably move next door to you for those nice warm temps.
        i suppose sealing up the trusses to keep the heat down is out of hte question? it would keep it cooler in summer.. ..
        davidh

Comment

David:

I'm in Central California, the Raisin Capital of America! A very cold night is 24 and that is usually front page news.

I have some insulation for under the rafters; just not installed yet. I'm looking forward to that also helping the swamp cooler keep up in the summer when it's 106 in the shade.

Comment

Working...
          X