Take a powder, coat that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a powder, coat that is.

I have had this dang thing laying around here forever. Never got it out of the box but always wanted to try it out. HorribleFright had a powder coating gun on sale a few years back and I bought one. The thought was that I could play with it in my spare time. Well, I finally made time.

I cleaned the part with the ole electric rust removal system. Afterward, I brushed it with a brass brush and then sprayed it all down with Kel spray. When I was ready the other day, I put the part in the oven and cooked it at 25؛+ above the paint cure temp. This was to cook off any oil or grease that may be in the casting.

Set it all up and got it masked off today. Then gave it a bit of color and off to the oven.

Whats cookin'?
    Click for larger photo.

The only issue that I found was coverage of the powder. There was one side that just didnt want to play the game. It didnt turn out too bad and I'll use it as is but for the future I need to either figure this out or plan on a second coat.

That was my productive day. Now I can get that one thing off my list for this year. And just hours before next year!
    rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

My younger brother bought a powder coat set from Eastwood.

When him and his wife were building their hot-rods, they used the crap out of it.

One thing he did that might have insured a better powder coat job, was he bought a used electric range with a large oven. He uses a media blaster to clean his parts, and hangs them on wires, in a frame that fits into the oven.

His wife and he must have figured it out, most of the parts they powder coated are flawless. I guess "practice makes perfect" too.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

It came out great. Why did you choose Red?
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Heat it up, bring it out, wipe it down with a fast evaporating thinner.. cook it again...

Do not touch with fingers..

bring it back out of oven, allow to cool slightly.. spray it till it looks like velvet, not fur.. then bake..

when it flows out.. 20 minutes longer to "set" the powder to maximum hardness.. Overbake and it crystallizes and looks like the desert floor all cracked and ugly..

Good luck.. I painted one F-ing gas tank six times.. I think I finally gave it away..

There are primers out now.. you paint with a regular paint gun and pc right over.. make for a slicker job.. you'd have to ask my buddy pat..
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Is the HF type electostatic?
          Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
          www.scope-werks.com
          www.compufoil.com

Comment

Red? I had the powder and since it was for a lathe with red, thats what it got. I wanted gray but I haven't seen any. I might just try mixing white and black and see what I get. The follower came from my uncle Carls stash of 200 tons worth of stuff.

The gun is electrostatic. I plugged it in just to see if it was running and then moved it all to a different area. Lets just say that one should never get near the end of the gun unless you know it has been grounded since its most recent use.

rock~

Comment

That wasn't much of an excuse but it will do

So as not to appear as a oger, I meant to tell you that you got the best signature line on the board !
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                That wasn't much of an excuse but it will do

So as not to appear as a oger, I meant to tell you that you got the best signature line on the board !
                Ha! I really dont remember why I grabbed the red when I purchased the gun. I might have purchased it because my Harley is red and I might have been thinking about coating something for it at the time.

As for the sig line, I dont remember where I picked that up. I doubt I made it up due to the cool factor. It might well have come from college. It was the ME's on floor 2, EE's were on 3 and the CE's had to share the two floors. With all the gruff or self positive individuals in the field, there was a running joke that there was nothing civil about engineering.

But who knows, I'll take credit till I'm sued, at that point I will deny and stick to my lie.

Another favorite is "No one knows what I do here till I dont do it."

rock~

Comment

Working...
                X