New to me Rockwell 11 lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Rockwell 11 lathe

Well yesterday I purchased an 11" rockwell lathe. Its the shorter bed model with the L00 spindle and appears to be in decent shape. It came with 3 jaw (brand new still in the cosmoline), face plate, taper attachment, steady and follower rest, jacobs spindle nose chuck (needs rubber flex collets maybe missing a washer), and most of a versamill, versagrinder, versaindexer etc. (this is not complete) Needs a few things like a tool post, tailstock ram and screw (this hung me up on whether to buy it or not), and new belts for the reeves drive. What do you guys think?

I would like to get a quick change tool post for it (aloris knockoff) any suggestions?

What to do about the tailstock ram? Can one be made? Anyone have one?

Belts I hear these are expensive something to the tune of $100 for the pair. If so I have a 2 or 3 hp 3 phase motor thinking VFD? Wouldn't be much more than the belts for the reeves drive and quite possibly a better solution.

Another project is just what I need still haven't gotten the millrite back together

Pics to follow

Try Joe at www.plazamachinery.com for starters on the missing tailstock pieces. As an owner of the Rockwell mill, I know the company doesn't carry any stock or support for these machines.

Good Luck
    I bury my work

Comment

Hi Robo,
      Was this the lathe that was posted on craigslist down in Toledo?
      Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
      www.scope-werks.com
      www.compufoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by AiR_GuNNeR
        Hi Robo,
        Was this the lathe that was posted on craigslist down in Toledo?
        Yes! It wasn't "never been used" as was thought. Basically I got a bunch of stuff none of which was complete.

Comment

AXA size quick change toolpost, an import like phase II is good enough.

To reconstruct the tailstock ram would require a left hand tap, probably square thread, maybe Acme, as well as boring a #3 Morse taper. .

Regarding VFD, you would still need the varispeed V belts to operate the lathe, unless you by-passed the reeves drive altogether. Also, VFD speed changing doesn't provide the torque increase at low speed as mechanical speed changing does.

Check the varispeed V belts, they may by 1" width, which is hard to find. You can get 1 and 3/16" width and slice them down to size.

Gary
          Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

I too have a 11 x 36 Rockwell and I love it!
            You may find a wealth of information here:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rockwe...guid=154867812

When I first acquired mine, I had the obligatory million questions and the folks at this group helped me a bunch.
            Cheers -
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by rmancini
              I too have a 11 x 36 Rockwell and I love it!
              You may find a wealth of information here:
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rockwe...guid=154867812

When I first acquired mine, I had the obligatory million questions and the folks at this group helped me a bunch.
              Cheers -
              Rich
              I am already a member there. Have been for a while.

Comment

New to me Rockwell 11 lathe

I Bought A 11 Rockwell Lathe About 15 Years Ago . I Had South Bends Before But The Rockwell Is A Far Far Better Machine. Mine Is Loo Taper Also. The Spindle Bearings Are Large Taper Roller Two Back To Back By The Chuck With A Ball Bearing On The Left Hand Side. Which I Love. The Feel Of Moving The Carriage Is Almost As Good As A Monarch Ee. I Designed And Made A Hand Wheel Similar To The Ee Which Makes It Much Better.
                I Have A Aloris Knock Off For My Machine And Would Have Nothing Else. I Have Made About 40 Holders For It.
                I Got This Lathe From A High School. The Gears From The Spindle To The Quick Change - The Quick Change - The Lead Screw -and The Tail Stock Were Missing. It Looked Like It Had Set Out Side For Months. It Cost $75.
                I Had A South Bend 9” Quick Change Which With Some Work, Was Fit To The Machine. I Found A Atlas Lead Screw That Worked - Had To Cut The Long Key Way Larger. And Machine The Ends.
                The Gear Train Came From My Junk Box . It Took A Lot Of Tinkering To Make It Right.
                I Fit A 12” Atlas Tail Stock . I Would Have Rather Had The Ordinal. Later I Fit A Clasing Bed Turret. I Used This A Lot But I Went Back To The Atlas Since I Just Use It As A Hobby Now.
                I Put On A Dc Motor - Variable Speed. Took All The Reeves Drive Stuff Out - And Tinkered Some Jack Shafts . Which Is Far Superior - Much Quieter - And More Trouble Free.
                This Has Worked Out To Be A Perfect Lathe For Me. And Is A Joy To Use.
                Richard
                Last edited by Richard Hanley; 01-01-2010, 03:29 PM. Reason: MY MISTAKE - SORRY

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hanley
                  I Bought A 11 Rockwell Lathe About 15 Years Ago . I Had South Bends Before But The Rockwell Is A Far Far Better Machine. Mine Is Loo Taper Also. The Spindle Bearings Are Large Taper Roller Two Back To Back By The Chuck With A Ball Bearing On The Left Hand Side. Which I Love. The Feel Of Moving The Carriage Is Almost As Good As A Monarch Ee. I Designed And Made A Hand Wheel Similar To The Ee Which Makes It Much Better.
                  I Have A Aloris Knock Off For My Machine And Would Have Nothing Else. I Have Made About 40 Holders For It.
                  I Got This Lathe From A High School. The Gears From The Spindle To The Quick Change - The Quick Change - The Lead Screw -and The Tail Stock Were Missing. It Looked Like It Had Set Out Side For Months. It Cost $75.
                  I Had A South Bend 9” Quick Change Which With Some Work, Was Fit To The Machine. I Found A Atlas Lead Screw That Worked - Had To Cut The Long Key Way Larger. And Machine The Ends.
                  The Gear Train Came From My Junk Box . It Took A Lot Of Tinkering To Make It Right.
                  I Fit A 12” Atlas Tail Stock . I Would Have Rather Had The Ordinal. Later I Fit A Clasing Bed Turret. I Used This A Lot But I Went Back To The Atlas Since I Just Use It As A Hobby Now.
                  I Put On A Dc Motor - Variable Speed. Took All The Reeves Drive Stuff Out - And Tinkered Some Jack Shafts . Which Is Far Superior - Much Quieter - And More Trouble Free.
                  This Has Worked Out To Be A Perfect Lathe For Me. And Is A Joy To Use.
                  Richard
                  Richard
                  Tell me about the DC motor conversion? How many HP is it? Have braking?

Comment

I Used A Dc Motor Because That Was What I Had - This Was Some Time Ago And Vfd’s Were Really Expensive Then. In Most Cases It Would Make More Sense To Use A 3 Phase Motor With A Vfd.
                    I Gutted All The Old Drive. And Built A Motor Base Up High In The Machine , With A Small 2 Groove Pulley [ Maybe 2.5 “] On The Motor. This Drives The Spindle. I Said I Used A Jack Shaft But I Remembered Wrong.
                    I Had A 1 1/2 Hp Motor I Would Have Liked To Use But It Was To Big Physically. I Used A 3/4 Hp That I Had But Would Have Preferred Some Thing Bigger. I Have Used It A Lot. If I Have Some Hard Work I Use The Back Gear.
                    Any Motor With A Brake Would Not Fit In The Cabinet.
                    Richard

Comment

What's with all the capitol letters- Looks like every word is the start of a sentence. It's Hard To Read Like That. It's hard to read like that.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

You gotta read it like Cary Grant is saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hanley
                          I Used A Dc Motor Because That Was What I Had - This Was Some Time Ago And Vfd’s Were Really Expensive Then. In Most Cases It Would Make More Sense To Use A 3 Phase Motor With A Vfd.
                          I Gutted All The Old Drive. And Built A Motor Base Up High In The Machine , With A Small 2 Groove Pulley [ Maybe 2.5 “] On The Motor. This Drives The Spindle. I Said I Used A Jack Shaft But I Remembered Wrong.
                          I Had A 1 1/2 Hp Motor I Would Have Liked To Use But It Was To Big Physically. I Used A 3/4 Hp That I Had But Would Have Preferred Some Thing Bigger. I Have Used It A Lot. If I Have Some Hard Work I Use The Back Gear.
                          Any Motor With A Brake Would Not Fit In The Cabinet.
                          Richard
                          What sort of speed range to you get?

Comment

Working...
                          X