R8 Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8 Index

Why does no one sell a R8 spin index? I have a set of R8 collets why should I have to buy a set of 5C collets when the R8 collets would work for most of what I would use an index for. I decided to build my own. I took great pains with the setup and cutting the R8 taper. I almost peed myself when I dialed a piece of 1/2" stock in it and could not detect any runout.
    It's not complete yet I still need to make a washer and draw bar for it and figure out how to attach the indexing plates and pin that I still need to make. I would like to make a 90:1 worm gear to mount on it and the necessary indexing plates.

Terry

Last edited by terry_g; 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM.

Because the R8 collets only go up to 7/8" diameter work and the work will not pass all the way through the collet. 5C collets are drawn in with a hollow drawbar allowing the work to extend past the end of the collet.
    Last edited by Carld; 01-01-2010, 08:29 PM.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

5-c

Another advantage to the 5-C is you can work with a longer work piece. The R-8 has a draw bar that prevents you from spinning a longer work piece. The 5-C uses a lock collar that allows your work piece to go threw the collet.
      Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

Still, a dang nice effort in making something that can still be very useful.

Comment

R8's also have a very limited size range.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Nice work. While R8's might be limited, most of us have them. What you have there can be indispensable when it comes to full use of existing tooling.

Cheers!
            rock~
            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Good job

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
              Still, a dang nice effort in making something that can still be very useful.
              Yes looks like you done a nice job. I can think of a lot of things it could do.
              Make a small face plate for it.
              Make the face plate to hold a small 3" or 4" lathe chuck
              Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                R8's also have a very limited size range.
                While that is true, I have seen a number of full 5C collet sets that peopled have, guess how many never get used
                , guess again on the ones that do

With the exception to the 1" it was pretty much the R8 Range.

Comment

R8 collets only go to 7/8".

I have a full set of R8 collets and I only use about 8 of the sizes most the time. I also have an almost complete set of 5C collets, I think I am missing 6 of them. I seldom use the 5C's.

I think the tool Terry made is a good idea and most the time when your using a spin index you seldom have a long piece in it. It could be handy to have.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

"With the exception to the 1" it was pretty much the R8 Range."

That is what that was referring to Carl.

Comment

oh 'scuse me.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                        oh 'scuse me.
                        Well OK, but just this once

Comment

Actualy can't you get 1" R8 collets? they are just so thin its not even funny.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

You can get thin wall 7/8" R-8 collets. The 1" R-8 collet is a joke that made it into production in China.

R-8 is a tool holding collet.
                            5C is a work holding collet.

--Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

my collet set came with a 1" collet. No way in hell could I cut with a 1" EM in it tho. The cutter just kept falling out. The 7/8" wasn't much better
                              Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Working...
                              X