New Years project finally done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years project finally done.

Hey guys, I recently bought a boat and needed some rod holders. Because I have the 'Do it yourself' disease, and don't have the extra $95.00 (for each one) I decided to make them myself. They are not perfect, and they took me nearly a week to do, but I am very happy with them. I sure learned a lot during this project. I have about $160.00 into the project for 10 of them.

For those of you familiar with Big-Jon fishing equipment, they are modeled after them.

As a side note, I am wondering how I ever survived without a rotary table before. I love that thing.

\"I see\" said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Continued....

Comment

Nothin' wrong with those. They look great to me, nice work Phil.

Patrick

Comment

Phil

Great looking job. Now comes the fun part, field testing.

Good luck

Hal

Comment

Nice work Phil, that "Do it yourself" disease saved you just short of $800, not a bad weeks take home pay

Comment

Nicely done. Do the mating surfaces need to be serated or will the aluminum stick/gauling cause them to stay where you put'em?

10 of those babies would sink my boat

NEVER MIND...
            Thought the one with all the little holes was a jig of some sort, now I see the pins !
            Last edited by Your Old Dog; 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Those look great. Will they hold water or are that made of something impervious?

Comment

Never thought of using the lathe as a tubing notcher. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Forestgnome
                  Never thought of using the lathe as a tubing notcher. Thanks for the idea!
                  I am not sure it is exactly 'Kosher', but after some trail and error I did get it to work.

Originally I tried to just use C-clamps to hold the tube against the tool post, but that was just plain dangerous, so I built that fixture. It works well, but you have to feed it slowly.

Tony, I am not sure I understand your question, but they are made of Aluminum and they are offset which creates a gap for water to drain out of, so they don't fill up when it rains.

Comment

Those would make very nice flag pole mounts as well, something hard to find these days.
                    James Kilroy

Comment

Working...
                    X