Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flycutter / boring head - not for the faint hearted !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flycutter / boring head - not for the faint hearted !

Thought I'd post this as an example of working outside the box.

Some while ago whilst working sub contract for an engineering company we sent a large steel plate out to be faced and have a large locating pin hole bored in and an 'O' ring groove for a seal machined in.

When It came back and we came to assemble it [ against the clock as usual ] we realised that the 'O' ring groove had been missed out. this plate was far to big to go on any of our machines so I came up with this.

Big steel disk with a 5/8" shank screwed and pinned into the back face, onto this was bolted a scrap top slide off a Myford ML7 with a tool block / holder screwed to this.

This was fitted to a large magnetic drill, clamped for extra safety and lined up on the plate and the groove machined in.

Worked a treat and provided the revs were kept down it works well.

Looking a bit sorry for itself but it's been hiding in the back of a cupboard for quite a few years.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Damn! Who had to flip the switch for the first time? Let me guess, the drill was left on and with everyone out of the way someone, at distance, plugged in an extension cord.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I'm puckering just looking at the photo.

Comment

The dangerous thing is, who had to stand close to it while it did the job? How did you or did you counterbalance that beast?
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Why is it dangerous ?
          OK so it's rotating but so is a 4 jaw chuck as an example.
          It can't fly out the chuck as it a screwed shank fitting. The top slide can't fly off as it's held by the screw and the gib clamp screws.

If you are within the radius of the tool it's dangerous, if you are outside the radius it's not, but this applies to all rotating objects.

Because of the radius of the cutting tool and peripheral speed the revs have to be kept low. If this was set running at say 500 rpm there could be an issue with out of balance forces, just ike running a big 4 jaw with a lump hanging out.

What's the difference ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Sir john;- I know it LOOKS big, ugly and out-of-balance, but estimating from the scale at the top of the photo, it is about a 6" diameter groove. Being a dedicated coward, perhaps 50 rpm and a few thou advance per revolution and I THINK it would work a treat. But what do I know-I am just an amature. Duffy
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Looks fine to me John. : )
              I went to a job site and had to machine 2 boss pockets inside a 72 inch housing. I had to use a 8" boring bar thru the axis with a milling head mounted on the tool slide sticking out there! Feed it with the bars rotation with a super slow drive. I have to admit I was nervous as the tool was about to make contact. Worked fine tho.. Oh, forgot to add that it was a 1 1/2 end mill 6" long!

Comment

You fishing? I'm betting he's too classy to take your bait !!
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

No, Lol!

Just adding that there are crazy type things that work but look scarey.

Comment

Boring head...scarry???

The only thing that I can see that might pucker one's bum is the magnetic drill on the plate driving it, but John said that they also clamped it in place. No problem...rock on!
                    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by j king
                      No, Lol!

Just adding that there are crazy type things that work but look scarey.
                      LOL I was talking to Sir John, 3rd Earl of Sudspumpwater!
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                        You fishing? I'm betting he's too classy to take your bait !!
                        No this was prompted by a thread on another group and I remembered this lurking in the back of the cupboard so dug it out and took a pic.

Only ever got used twice but both times it was a life saver.

Comment

I'm thinking that was a VERY large mag drill...... Most I have messed with wouldn't clear the tool, let alone the slide screw handle.

if the clamping came loose, it surely would have thrashed around a bit....... I'd have put on a couple more extra clamps!
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Its probably safer than the thing that you think IS safe, bet you will ignore a brand new big ol inserted tooth cutter, or a nice big drill bit? them be the buggers that get you, if you look at somthing and it looks a bit dodgey you will treat it with the respect ALL rotating cutters deserve, and truthfully you will be safer for it
                            And it got the job done, that dosent mean i'd have the confidence or ability to do it, but i have the advantage of another job besides machining, if i cant do it i have the luxury of a machine shop the size of a football pitch that usually has the kit to do it, different at home or when theres nothing else available, thats when it gets interesting!, we have all been there, how the hell can i do this?, its great when it works but its good to treat these machines with respect, they dont usually take prisoners and will ensue swift retribution upon the unwary!
                            happy new year
                            mark

Comment

John, May I please borrow it? I want our EHS girl to run out of the building screaming, never to be heard from again Den

Comment

Working...
                              X