Tool Holders - Mill / Collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Holders - Mill / Collets

Well, I has some spare time in the shop so I decided to make some racks for the all the collets, and end mill holders I have. Since a have a bunch of Corian I thought that seem like a great canidate to make these holders. I mounted these on the Kennedy roll around I used at the mill. I built the top rack about a year ago but decided I needed a few more. Now I have more room in the tool box for more junk.

Since I don't have the correct glue, I used SHCS to hold them together.

Looks good to me!

David
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Nicely done. Even when we have spare time, we always find something to build in the shop.

Comment

That's waaaaay too many toys to have on one tool box!!!
        Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Those look nice. Since its not the right glue send them to me and I will do a long term duriblity test on them. Its ok to leave the tooling in them for the test Realy good job you did.Hope to make me some tooling racks one of these days.Stuff is kind of cluttered around my shop right now.

Comment

nice job, nice collection.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Sweet.
              That's all I have to say about that....

except that I'd really like to do/have something similar.

Comment

Nice job - and corian is a lovely material.

However, my shop is either too small or too much swarf flying to have collets stored "out in the open" like that. Your shop must be either very clean, have total enclosures on the machines and/or very big.

Comment

Good idea.. looks like the peices are strong enough too.. its amazeing how quickly tooling weight accumulates! Im sure you allready did some weight stress testing
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by derekm
                    Nice job - and corian is a lovely material.

However, my shop is either too small or too much swarf flying to have collets stored "out in the open" like that. Your shop must be either very clean, have total enclosures on the machines and/or very big.
                    One of the reasons I mounted behind the Kennedy box. The box make a shield of the flying swarf.

Comment

Slight variation.
                      Years ago I bought a cheap plastic rotary R8 holder for the mill from J&L
                      Ideal for collets but no good for anything that sticks up, including collets with cutters in them.

You can see it botton right in this picture.

Can't turn it over as the taper for the R8 is from the top down and the pivot pin is moulded in.

This got me thinking and I had a new plate laser cut out of 6mm steel [ 1/4" ] with more holders round the outside and 6 holes in the centre part for boring heads, face mills etc, things too big for the edges without loosing real estate.

This lets me keep collets already setup with cutters in them, the plate squeezes them enough so the cutter doesn't slide out backwards.
                      It's mounted on a long enough support so it can spin without anything fouling, something the original plastic one wasn't capable of, that now sits there as a hardly used parking spot for odd cutters. The whole setup lives on the DRO arm at the side of the mill.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                      X