New to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me

I helped a friend erect a carport this afternoon and he asked me if I would like the millling machine someone gave him. I said "sure" since I do not have a dedicated milling machine, Just a mill, drill, lathe. What I brought home today is an Atlas MFB mill. He said it was working when he got it but it sure is stiff. Looks like a winter time project to get it cleaned up and lubed. Little thing was so cute, like to have broke my back picking it up. Haven't even finished putting all the covers back on the SouthBend Lathe after replacing all the wicks. Pictures to follow.

Patrick

Could that be a MFC mill, a bench top horizontal?

If it is that would make for a very nice little machine for you.

Found a picture of a MFC and no reference for a MFB, that's why I asked as I'm not familiar with either.

Comment

Yes Ken, that could very well be MFC. Shop is about 100' from my recliner and my memory isn't what it used to be. Besides I set it on the floor and bending down to read the tag the air gets real thin that close to the floor and makes it hard to breathe. Just took a quick look before heading for the recliner.

Patrick

Comment

Ya know a guy is getting old when he locates items as a distance from his recliner, the last stage signs are if the first thing he looks for and reads in the newspaper is the obituary.

Since you're in your recliner I guess it'll be a while for the pictures.

Comment

The MFB has 12 spindle speeds, MFC has 8. Count the grooves in the spindle pulley and multiply by 4.

Joe

Comment

Obituary watch is very high on my list of reading, but then so are the comics.

Patrick

Comment

Well Ken, you shamed me into getting out of my recliner and going back out to the shop for pictures.

Plugged it in while I was out there and it does run, I just don't know what all the screws and levers are for. As you can see, it needs a little cleaning and rust removal.

Patrick

Comment

Thats umm.. certianly the intresting knee feed setup!

How big is it? I can't quite make out the scale in that picture.. at first glance it looks like it might be 4'~6' tall! but then the other things in the picture and that its on a table make it look to be 2' tall?

You know your old when you check the obituary to make sure you are not listed.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Looks like a good project, concrats.

Comment

it's about 2 feet tall, with a table around 5 x 18"

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Black Moons I do believe you're right, it is about 2 feet tall. I think the specs say the table is 18" long so that looks like about 2'.
                      Hey Rod, yeah another project. Maybe I can get this little thing up to snuff faster than I did the SouthBend.

Patrick

Jerry, you typed in while I wasn't looking. Yes you are correct.

Comment

Something that size would be awesome for my basement shop.

Comment

I think the drive shaft is a power feed for the table X travel, not the knee.

Nice little mill and it could be very handy to have. I had the bench top Atlas shaper once but traded it to a friend.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Small mills like that are nice.... I think so possibly because I have one similar. Not an Atlas, but a Lewis.

If you put an overarm support on it (to hold the outboard end of the overarm) you can run some heavy cuts. Maybe not quite as heavy as the Lewis, since you will have a 2MT socket, while the Lewis has a 3, but still much heavier than might be guessed.

Those mills have a useful slow speed, somewhere around 50 rpm or so IIRC, if in back gear. MUCH nicer than the little 'speed mills" that don't get below 150 or 200 rpm. Lets you swing a 4" cutter and still get a decent SFM at the cutter edge.

Yes the u-jointed drive shaft is for the table feed. I don't have power feed (yet) on the Lewis, could be a good feature if it has sufficient range.
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 01-03-2010, 12:44 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

I had one for awhile, (obligatory link) and they are, actually, pretty nice little machines. Far and away better built than any Taig or Sherline mini-mill.

Unfortunately it was just a little too small for my needs- it didn't take long to eat up that table travel. But other than that, it was a fine and surprisingly powerful little machine.

I 'traded up' to a Nichols, which has proven itself to be very, very handy indeed.

Give that poor thing a good cleaning and you'll have yourself a nice machine.

Doc.
                              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                              X