Shars ER-32 collets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shars ER-32 collets?

Has anyone here purchased any ER-32 collets from Shars? If so would you recommend them? I need a few sets and they have them on ebay pretty cheap.

Thanks
    Mark Hockett

Mark
    I did NOT buy the Shars, but did purchase some "cheap" one from another on Ebay.
    They were a set from 1/8 to 1/2, I think.
    All in all they were not very good.
    The 1/2'' one was much smaller then 1/2" and it was difficult to get a 1/2'' endmill into it. The finish was very rough on all of them.
    I only use them now on the tailstock chuck on the lathe.

That said I have purchased other items from Shars and found them good to very good. The expanding arbours was one that was very good
    eddie
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

AFAIK isent ER actualy metric? Meaning your half inch collet is actualy just whatever was close enough in metric to 1/2"
      I know from my experiance with chinese die grinder collets that 6mm != 1/4", no matter how hard you force that 6.35mm 1/4" bit into the 6mm hole its not gonna fit reguardless what the chinese guy on ebay advertises the die grinder to accept. Maybe your 1/2" bit is really 12mm and you need the next one up (13mm?)

They also state to use INSANE torque on ER32/40 collets, likey so they fully compress down onto the tool as AFAIK ER is designed to have a large contraction range so it can theorticaly hold any size tool. (Where other collet systems like 5C only have a small range of compression and can't hold any size stock with just a /32nd set)

As far as the finish, What part of the finish was bad on them? I can't see someone getting away with selling unground collets..
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I'd use www.maritool.com for your ER collets and tooling, good quality (definitely better than the typical chinese import stuff) and fair prices. Both pre and post sales support is also excellent, he doesn't mind selling to and helping out the little guys.

His carbide endmills are also a good value.

Paul T.

Comment

Shars

I haven't bought the ER's but I have bought 5C & R8 and a lot of other stuff. So far so good.
          Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT
            I'd use www.maritool.com for your ER collets and tooling, good quality (definitely better than the typical chinese import stuff) and fair prices. Both pre and post sales support is also excellent, he doesn't mind selling to and helping out the little guys.

His carbide endmills are also a good value.

Paul T.
            Actually I'm going to have to differ on that.

Franks ER collet holder is superb - I could barely measure a tenth runout on it, and fit and finish are first class.
            However I'm afraid that some of the collets are poorly made and sized. I've had problems where I can't even fit nominal sized drills/mills into some, and others that won't close down even 0.020".

To be fair Frank offered to replace all these free of charge and with shipping to the UK, and offered compensation as well but in the end I couldn't be bothered to send the offending items all the way back.
            I strongly suspect that the collets are/were bought in items whereas the holders are made by MariTool and hence of a much better quality.
            I also have to say that his customer service and support were second to none, and he was very helpful and sympathetic, so I feel a slight twinge of guilt posting the above.
            Nevertheless I felt it had to be said.

Peter

Comment

Blackmoon
              I got them on ebay.
              I have others 'good' brands and the 1/2'' fits easily, but not in the cheap set.
              as for the finish, the sides were ok, but the ends were the tools go in were full of burs and well some still had same bits of metal in the side openings.
              Note they were the cheap ones and advertised as so.

Originally posted by Black_Moons
              AFAIK isent ER actualy metric? Meaning your half inch collet is actualy just whatever was close enough in metric to 1/2"
              I know from my experiance with chinese die grinder collets that 6mm != 1/4", no matter how hard you force that 6.35mm 1/4" bit into the 6mm hole its not gonna fit reguardless what the chinese guy on ebay advertises the die grinder to accept. Maybe your 1/2" bit is really 12mm and you need the next one up (13mm?)

They also state to use INSANE torque on ER32/40 collets, likey so they fully compress down onto the tool as AFAIK ER is designed to have a large contraction range so it can theorticaly hold any size tool. (Where other collet systems like 5C only have a small range of compression and can't hold any size stock with just a /32nd set)

As far as the finish, What part of the finish was bad on them? I can't see someone getting away with selling unground collets..
              please visit my webpage:
              http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hockett
                Has anyone here purchased any ER-32 collets from Shars? If so would you recommend them? I need a few sets and they have them on ebay pretty cheap.
                Yes, I purchased a couple of ER-32 collets from Shars to fill out a set. They were of good quality and I have no complaints. I had previously purchased a set from CTC which were equal to the Shars. Subsequently, I purchased a couple more collets from another vendor that worked but fit loosely in the collet holder I had purchased from CTC. But, they did work. I guess there are differences in collets depending who is making them.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill
                  To be fair Frank offered to replace all these free of charge and with shipping to the UK, and offered compensation as well but in the end I couldn't be bothered to send the offending items all the way back.
                  I strongly suspect that the collets are/were bought in items whereas the holders are made by MariTool and hence of a much better quality.
                  I also have to say that his customer service and support were second to none, and he was very helpful and sympathetic, so I feel a slight twinge of guilt posting the above.
                  Nevertheless I felt it had to be said.

Peter
                  I had the opposite experience. My cheap eBay set has had 2 bad collets. One, the hole size was just too small or it was mis-marked, but it wouldn't fit the shank it claimed. The other was actually not manufactured correctly and you couldn't close it in the chuck.

I bought the "English" set from Mari and they have been excellent.

Mari's collet chucks are also great as are Glacern's. One thing to note about the Glacern chucks--they have no wrench flats. If you don't have a spindle brake, you can't tighten in the machine. I have sent Sol a note on that.

Even the cheap collet chucks have been good for me, I have to admit. The biggest difference between a cheapy and the Mari/Glacern's is how easily the collet snaps into the nut. Some of the cheap ones can be pretty balky.

Cheers,

BW
                  ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                  Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

bob: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/27/10197.jpg Spindle wrenchs can let you grab onto the spline of your quill, or some designs pins holes in the bottom of the spindle, etc to hold the spindle..

Of course.. with ER-32/40 reported to take 100+ft/lbs of torque.. you might not exactly want to tighten them using the spindle..
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I have purchased tools from Frank at Mari Tool and like the quality, but his collet prices are not as low as the ones from Shars on ebay. These collets will be mostly used on a CNC turning center That I am planning on purchasing. Run-out is not as critical as on a mill because they won't be spinning so the cheap stuff should be fine.
                      I ended up looking at CTC and placing an order for a bunch of stuff including 5 sets of ER-32 collets. We will see how they look when they get here.

Thanks again,
                      Mark Hockett

Comment

Mark I recently received ER32 & ER16 collet sets from CTC and they look great. I think you'll be very happy with them. Beautiful fit & finish. Haven't checked runout yet though...too cold in the shop.

One thing I noticed though is that some of the small sizes have swarf stuck in the slits. A couple of them cleaned up easily with a solvent dip and compressed air, a few had to be manually cleaned out with a small pick.

This is my 1st experience with ER collets and I'm amazed. How the heck they can do all that intricate grinding & slitting to decent tolerances for ANY price is beyond me much less at the pittance they sell them for.

The R8 & 2MT collet chucks, nuts and wrenches I bought in the same order are all great quality as well. Too bad they don't make an ER32 chuck to fit the spindle flange on my little 8" Emco clone. Gonna have to make one myself.
                        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Might be the maker?

[QUOTE=Black_Moons]AFAIK isent ER actualy metric? Meaning your half inch collet is actualy just whatever was close enough in metric to 1/2"

I bought ETM ER 32 collets and they are in metric, but 1/2" , which is 12.7mm goes into the 12mm-13mm collet, shouldn't be a problem. If the fractional size(1/4", 3/8") you are placing in collet is toward the extreme, it may be a bit dicey as far as tight or loose, but as stated above, there are inch sized collets available which should put your fractional sized tools roughly in the middle comfortably.
                          I love my set, stays in the mill almost all the time, big beefy two lug spanner to boot.
                          Last edited by recoilless; 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM.
                          I bury my work

Comment

Hadn't come across CTC. Will take a look.

BTW, Black_Moons, I have a spline wrench, but it's a nogo. I have a spacer to keep my drawbar centered and I need to turn it down to clear the wrench (DOH!).

Talked to Sol at Glacern. He says to just chuck it up in a vise with aluminum jaws. That's what I did. Works fine. You may or may not have a vise available for that though.

I'd love to make an R8 tightening fixture like what you see for CAT40's. Maybe I'll look into it.

Cheers,

BW
                            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

The ER collet system was originally metric.

Collet sets where the nominal size of each collet is an Imperial size are available too.

Or course you can also get sets where the nominal size is somewhat random.
                              Paul Compton
                              www.morini-mania.co.uk
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Working...
                              X