X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeremy13
    • Apr 2009

OT- Punching holes in steel

With explosives!!! This is a military grade shape charge. Just the cone and shell the explosive is our binary. The target A 2.75" thick mystery steel. This stuff is hard!!! A 50cal armor piercing round will make it half way threw at 100yds and bounce out. We get the plates from an old train wreaking yard. The best guess of what they came from they called them bump plates. From what I under stand they are located behind the coupler and a spring sits on it and adsorbs the impact of the cars stopping and compressing the spring.

The impact hole, notice the metal pulled in the hole. We haven't figured this out yet with the commercial explosives the hole will be open. With ours the hole is blocked. almost like it is sucking in the molten steel around the hole.

The exit hole about 1/2" diameter and small radial cracks.

The impact on the ground about 1X2" and 8" deep with a 4" diameter hollow spot at the bottom.
  • jeremy13
    • Apr 2009

Comment

• Black_Moons
      • Aug 2009

Hahaha. Sure beats using a drill!
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

I almost felt I should write my reply in arabic ........ looks like you are making IEDs there, which might be frowned on somewhat..... I might suggest being a little more discreet.......

It was fun, fun, fun, until Uncle sent the Feds to the door.........
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• jeremy13
          • Apr 2009

They can come out all they want. ATFE license to prove it and it covers manufacture of explosives and testing. We get UXO guys out and UN guys looking at the binary for de-mining in 3rd world countries.

The best part I get paid to blow stuff up!!!

Comment

• Tony Ennis
            • Oct 2009

This sort of thing is why I am amazed tanks can exist on the battlefield.

Comment

• Forrest Addy
              • Oct 2002

Feed must have been about a billion inches per minute

Comment

• Boucher
                • Jul 2005

Be Carefull! The longest moment in my life was the time between when I dropped a tray of very sensative experimental detonators and the time they hit the floor. Fortunately nothing popped, but it completely redefined the known scale on pucker factor.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

• jeremy13
                  • Apr 2009

We kind of drilled threw and nicked the table. The new tanks survive thanks to reactive armor. The armor plate itself explodes and helps cancel out the shock wave of the shape charge. The next gen shape charges use two explosions. The first one sets of the reactive armor and the second fallows the path of the first. Now there is no reactive armor in it's way.
                  Last edited by jeremy13; 01-03-2010, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• jeremy13
                    • Apr 2009

Bouncer I see your in Burnet wear you working for Slumber-J

Comment

• jeremy13
                      • Apr 2009

Lets see 24,000 FPS = 288,000 IPS = 17,280,000 IPM feed rate.

Comment

• x39
                        • Nov 2002

Interesting. Many years ago I read a book about manufacturing processes involving forming metal with explosives. Some very deep draws in sheet metal were accomplished using shaped charges with the workpiece under water.

Comment

• doctor demo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                          Feed must have been about a billion inches per minute
                          I thought You were a better machinist than that Forrest, You only missed the estimate by about 900 million ipm That will kill the tool life .

Steve

Comment

• J Tiers
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jeremy13
                            They can come out all they want. ATFE license to prove it and it covers manufacture of explosives and testing. We get UXO guys out and UN guys looking at the binary for de-mining in 3rd world countries.

The best part I get paid to blow stuff up!!!
                            In that case, go for it.

On never quite knows who or what is posting, even here.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Boucher
                              • Jul 2005

Jeremy13, I was in Phoenix working for Unidynamics Div. of Universal Match when the detonator drop occurred. The cockpit escape pod for the F-111 was to be cut from the airframe with linear shaped charge. We designed and built these detonators as part of that system test. When you work around explosives you are going to see bad things happen. It was fun for a while like riding motorcycles I decided to move on to safer pursuits.
                              Byron Boucher
                              Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X