This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapering a rod in with a mill.

Hi, I'm new. Bought a mill/drill a while ago and have been playing around with it making swarfs.

I'm making something that requires a tapered rod. Material is 316SS 1" rod, 12" long.

I want to taper it one end remain 1 inch, the other to 3/4 inch, here's my "napkin blueprint":

i know it doesnt look like a rod, but its got all the dimension i want to communicate.

I've been chewing over this for several days now. I know this could be done rather easily on a lathe, but I dont have a lathe.

here comes my mickey mouse ideas:

1. get a 1" R8 collet and put the rod in the drill head. and some how, fabricate a tool holder to hold a cutter, and use my mill like a lathe. (making this "tool holder" will probably be difficult and frustrating)

2. get a rotary table and mount it vertically and mount the rod in it so the rod is horizontal. I can shim the rotary table so the the bar tilts up the correct angle and mill while turning it.

i realize these are all very jerry-rigging. if its impossible, i'll just use a straight rod.. But i've been chewing over this over two weeks now, and still no solution. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, i figure i'll just ask the experts.

Hmm, Might we ask what your making that needs a tapered rod? maybe its easyer to change that then make the rod.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

That being stainless I would find someone with a lathe. Thats just a basic operation in a lathe. Time saver and frustration saver!!! Just my 2 cents
      Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

Can make easy toolholder by mounting lathe bit in vise. But having mill cut taper like that... is harder part.

Or just have someone make one on lathe.

Comment

How about a 14 inch piece so you have an extra inch on each end shimmed up to the taper angle and clamped to the mill table. Mill down the taper, unclamp, rotate part, reclamp and take another cut. Watch for deformation when clamping. Repeat until you get all the way around as fine of increments as you can stand. Cut off the small end. Then insert the big end into a 1" collet in the spindle, run the spindle and use a file and abrasive cloth to finish. Then cut the big end off.

A spin fixture and tailstock would be easier but I'm guessing you don't have those.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
            Hmm, Might we ask what your making that needs a tapered rod? maybe its easyer to change that then make the rod.

what can i say, my wife has been corrupted by her girlfriends. One of her friends have one, and now all the other friends want one. They're $90 to $120 on the internet, made of 316SS. Took me FOREVER to source the 1" ($1.79 each) and 1.5" ($15 each) 316SS balls, but i finally got them.

bending this rod will be very difficult, so i might ditch the whole tapering rod and just use 3/4" 316 rod.

Comment

Can you instead use a standard taper pin? A #12 taper pin is just over 1" diameter at the large end.

How good a finish do you need? Your suggestion #2 (tilted rotary table) would probably work, if you support the outboard end with a tailstock center, but a milled finish is not likely to be very good. And 316 stainless is no joy to work with. Can you use #303?
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

there are stander taper pins? i did not know of such things i will look now.

need to be 316 due to health concerns. I will definitely polish it to a mirror shine.

this will be about $30 in material and a whole lot of time, just to make a $90 widget.

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                  Can you instead use a standard taper pin? A #12 taper pin is just over 1" diameter at the large end.
                  OMG, they come in 316 SS. this is why i ask the experts

Comment

This should get interesting.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is that thing used for?

The next thing, even if you are able to make it, will your wife use it? I made a sweet little doorbell button on my lathe and mill for our house and my wife didn't like it (didn't go with style of house). It might be cheaper to spend the $90.00.

- T

Comment

It was probably made as one piece in a lathe and then heated and bent afterwards. It will most likely be more difficult on the mill.

I'm with Carl ... this should be interesting, as it appears to be a first for this sort of "toy"

Metal sure will be cold ...
                        "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Sooner or later someone was going to ask.

All the information you need to find out is in post #6 ...

Originally posted by MinnesotaHSM

The next thing, even if you are able to make it, will your wife use it? I made a sweet little doorbell button on my lathe and mill for our house and my wife didn't like it (didn't go with style of house). It might be cheaper to spend the $90.00.

- T
                          "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaHSM

- T
                            my, my! I sure hate to make a first impression like this. It is a "toy" that's all i want to say since i really like this forum and don't want to be banned.

as for whether the wife will use it... lets just say this is not a project that i came up with. this project was handed to me by her and a group of her friends.

I agree it would be cheaper to just spend the 90 bucks, but i wouldn't be any wiser. i spent $3000 on welding equipment and material to make a $150 wrought iron gate for my yard... but now i know how to weld. IMHO, $2850 (and a lot of frustration) later, i can now o/a, mig and tig weld SS, steel, alu. knowledge and experience is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by RKW
                              Metal sure will be cold ...
                              Just get it cherry red with the oxy torch first

Comment

Working...
                              X