Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw A Rag In It

Tricks of the trade department.

Several decades ago when I was a toolmaker apprentice, I was attempting to drill a rather large hole (2 or 3 inchs IIRC) in a big radial drill and the drill started walking. Walking being a form of chatter where one flute would dig in and then the other leaving an oversize hole and a terrible finish.

One of the oldtimers came by and saw what was going on and told me to "throw a rag in it".

This particular oldtimer was one of our best toolmakers, but he was also a jokester.

I suspected he was trying to put one over on the young apprentice.

Then he grabbed a shop towel, folded it into quarters, threw it between the drill and the hole, and proceeded to drill a perfect hole.

Zero chatter.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Any other unconventional shop tips out there?

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Thanks for sharing! Thats a nice trick!
    Andy

Comment

Great story!
      Its sad to think that we are loosing those "old timers" and their vast wealth of knowledge.

Comment

That's a good tip. Old trick we used to do before all these new alloy drill bits became popular (and cheaper) was to re-dress the cutting edge on cheapie masonry bits to drill through hardened steel. It's still good for the garage mechanic anyways.

Comment

You can use a rag to force a drill to cut oversize also.

Comment

Similar to the trick that gunsmiths use when a chambering reamer chatters. They will wrap the reamer in wax paper and then cut a nice clean chamber.

Comment

similar trick if you have a taper drill let go and have to get it restarted. the protruded chips left at bottom make it next to impossible without them pulling the drill out...rag does the trick

Comment

Ok I accept this as fact and will certainly give it a try should the need arise but does anyone have an explanation on how it works?

Comment

Sure, it jams the hole up enough to prevent the drill bit from vibrating all over the place in free air, but not enough to prevent it from turning. The drill makes its own bushing out of it essentially, and that guides the bit to begin cutting a proper round hole again. It's acting as an end mill to try to clean up the chattered material and get it out of the way, and it wouldn't have enough support at the length of the bit out from the chuck without the rag in there.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If you're making love to a woman and leave your underpants on does it have the same effect?Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                      If you're making love to a woman and leave your underpants on does it have the same effect?Alistair
                      Only if they are tapered, stainless steel underpants with TiG welded balls

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        Only if they are tapered, stainless steel underpants with TiG welded balls

Hmm, I would have thought the balls would have to have been billet aluminum
                        Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

I alwasys thought that "chatter" was a desirable effect in such situations!

Comment

What is that "law" about posts that require any post to develop into
                            food, sex, or politics in so many replies?

...lew...

Comment

Only if the tool is too small for the work piece..............Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X