I'm looking for a mechanical/drafting pencil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a mechanical/drafting pencil

Many years ago when I was in college there was a guy with a mechanical pencil that had a retractable tip. It may have been a Staedtler, but I really have no idea. I am looking for a new pencil and would like to get one with a retractable tip but I have no idea what model that would be. I have been searching websites (like Pentel and Staedtler), but their descriptions are lacking, plus I am sure there are many companies who make mechanical pencils that I am not familiar with. The only one I have found so far is the Pentel Graphgear 1000, which looks to be a very cool pencil, but I have read there are some plastic parts in it that are prone to breakage.

So, anyone still use a mechanical pencil or know of a model with a retractable tip that will stand up to daily use?

Thanks,

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

I have three sitting in front of me right now. Coming out of high school I had dreams of being a drafter, you know, the type you see in the movies. Big desk, mechanical square, dimly lit room with a light on each table. Inky dark shadows......

Anyhow - Out of the three, two are similar and one is a bit different.

1 - Pilot brand. This come in a set with a pen and has a hardness marker ring in the middle. The tip on this retracts completely so when it is in your pocket, you cant stab yourself thus bending the tip making the pencil unusable which is the real pain. The tip will not retract unless you click the end.

2 - Stanford brand. This type has a retractable tip similar to the pilot but the tip will slide back up into the pencil as you use the led. So it supports the softer led and allows one to push harder if using the hardest leds.

3 - Zebra Jimnie pencil. Super el cheapo of the Stanford design. All clear plastic, the kind that I look at and think, "if I drop this it will break".

I'll get some photos together if you need them. As for specific part numbers, I have none. But I know that I can walk into our local Staples or OfficeMax or whatever and pick them up.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Excellent reviews on this model. It's the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/PIL50028-Draft.../dp/B000GAU2WU

Comment

the one I have that I use quite a lot is the Pilot Vanishing Point (http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogsp...echanical.html). Same as the previous two posters

unfortunately, I can't speak to how well it holds up to daily use because I'm too afraid of either losing it or having someone at work steal it. instead I just keep it at my desk at home.

Comment

Being an old drafter from as far back as the 60's, I still have and use my old Kon-i-noor lead holder and 2mm leads.
          Like this:
          http://www.draftingsteals.com/20507.html
          http://www.draftingsteals.com/2mmdrawleadp1.html
          (of course you will need a lead pointer, http://www.draftingsteals.com/21095.html , to keep it nice and sharp)
          Anyway, try this place if they don't have what you want then you don't need it............ http://www.draftingsteals.com/
          "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks guys! I guess I will just head to Staples and see what they have. It looks like that Pilot is very similar to the Pentel. The Pilot appears to no longer be in production, but I would think they have something similar in a current model (I'll have to look for the vanishing tip).

And I actually own a lead pointer as well as a Staedtler leadholder with the funky claw grip on it like the current Mars technico. I used to have a ton of cool drafting tools but one of my brother's friends made off with most of them MANY years ago.

I'll let you know what I find.

andy b.
            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

I have a whole drawer full of Staedlers and Alvins. I still pencil draft though I am also pretty great with X4. This said, my favorite pencils are my Pentels - the .5, .7 and .9 mm pencils. When pencil drafting, these keep the line quality consistent at all times. HB lead in the .7 and .9, 2H in the .5.

For a general great quality mechanical pencil, the Pentel .7 can't be beat, I buy these by the dozen from staples catalog or better yet - QUILL!
              CCBW, MAH

Comment

I've used a Pentel with super fine lead and soft grade lead as it will draw on metal that has a 400 grit sandpaper finish.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

OIh yeah, that too, I keep pentels because when working on machines, I can do my math on the bare metal top of my lathe cross slide, then wipe it off.
                  CCBW, MAH

Comment

No lead in ya pencil?

And when the day comes - if it hasn't already - that you no longer have lead in your pencil, after all the sobbing and weeping, you will ??????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byn0zBabBKA

http://blueslyrics.tripod.com/artist..._write_no_more

Comment

PLUS

It seams that the sword really is mightier than the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211

PLUS

It seams that the sword really is mightier than the pen.
                        I like that, but it might not work too well for marking out outlet holes in drywall or taking notes in the rain at spring farmers' consignment sales.

I never said I wanted to use the pencil for drafting, just that I wanted a mechanical pencil.

andy b.

Comment

I really like mechanical pencils, just because they are so cool. I've got about a dozen different makes and models and they vary in quality all over the map.

For a retractable tip, Pilot, Rotring, Pentel all come to mind. Each maker has a couple of models and of course the price reflects the fact that they are more mechanical than just a "pencil."

rollin'

Comment

Originally posted by chris4891
                            ... I can't speak to how well it holds up to daily use because I'm too afraid of either losing it or having someone at work steal it. instead I just keep it at my desk at home.
                            I have used mine daily and it does hold up well, until you drop it on the floor and the led guide gets bent. But this same issue happens with many if not all led holders.

rock~
                            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Hobart welding supplies sells the old style large bore pencil/lead holders at Tractor Supply with the aluminum lead for markings that are some what heat resistant.
                              You also can check out Dick Blicks drafting supplies they have are kinds and manner of lead holders and stuff
                              I have used the Pental ones and that is the guts I use in the shop made pens and pencils.
                              Glen
                              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Working...
                              X