Anyone try making a Pantograph Plasma Cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try making a Pantograph Plasma Cutter

Been toying with the idea of making Pantograph Plasma Cutter and was wondering if anyone has tried with any success so far.

Found this pic on the internet and the concept looks pretty good althou it would take so modification to apply it to a plasma cutter

Any thoughts ?

Not for use with a plasma unit, but I made one that uses an oxy-acetylene torch. The steel pattern is mounted above the torch and is traced by a magnetic rotary follower that runs around the pattern edge. It's the same design as the old Heath shape cutter.
    I don't do drugs.
    At my age, I can get the same effect if I stand up too quick!

Comment

Originally posted by HarryG
      Not for use with a plasma unit, but I made one that uses an oxy-acetylene torch. The steel pattern is mounted above the torch and is traced by a magnetic rotary follower that runs around the pattern edge. It's the same design as the old Heath shape cutter.
      Got any pictures?

Comment

I didn't make this, but I did change it from oxy-acet to plasma. D.C. variable speed controll with a magnetic shaft on the motor that follows the pattern .

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo

I didn't make this, but I did change it from oxy-acet to plasma. D.C. variable speed controll with a magnetic shaft on the motor that follows the pattern .

Steve
          Did you pick that up at the auction on 28th Ave

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
            Did you pick that up at the auction on 28th Ave
            Oh Man, I missed yet another auction .
            No Joe, it's been kicking around the shop for 4-5 years and gets used a couple of times a year. I still have the torch from it and it takes the Victor Journeyman size tips iirc.
            28th ave. in what city?

Steve

Comment

An old one for oxy probably seen before by all here but still...

From ships nostalgia

Comment

The problem with using a template or magic eye oxy-acetylene profile for plasma is that very few of them,especially the older ones are capable of producing the cutting speeds plasma needs.
                The main problem I see with a pantograph machine is the same.Will you be able to move the stylus fast enough to keep the plasma cutting and how smooth would the movement be?
                Mark.

Comment

My oh my that second picture, gonna make a heavy guitar!

Peter
                  I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McGrath
                    The problem with using a template or magic eye oxy-acetylene profile for plasma is that very few of them,especially the older ones are capable of producing the cutting speeds plasma needs.
                    The main problem I see with a pantograph machine is the same.Will you be able to move the stylus fast enough to keep the plasma cutting and how smooth would the movement be?
                    Mark.
                    Esab still sells bug-eye burners and they can be used with plasma or oxy-fuel. No problems.

Bad thing about bug eye burners are the heads are actually pretty fragile and they can be up to 3k to fix if the sensor gets out of whack.

There is a local company that makes custom Jeep parts. They have a Heath type set up that cuts parts out all day. No where as efficient as a CNC but heck of a lot cheaper.

Comment

Here is the place to go for that kind of thing.
                      A plasma CNC type forum
                      Glen
                      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                        Esab still sells bug-eye burners and they can be used with plasma or oxy-fuel. No problems.
                        That`s because they are selling modern m/c`s with uprated drives and controls with plasma in mind.The older ones were not designed to be plasma compatible and therefore have much slower feedrates.
                        I have one here that I was contemplating uprating but bought a cnc plasma instead.

Comment

Woah thats an amazeing cutting picture...

What exactly is this magnetic head/magic eye stuff? Can I get a link explaining its operation? Id google it but those searchwords tend to bring up other results.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McGrath
                            Mark.
                            Being a direct 1:1 ratio would it need to be any faster then just cutting it out by hand? I was thinking I could move the air button over to the stylus and just follow the pattern by hand

I'm just looking to build a 1' x 2' sized machine to cut out patterns of up to .325" plate. Doesn't need to be any more accurate then .025". Most of the patterns have no straight lines in their geometry

Still a lot cheaper then contour cutting with end mills

Comment

Joe

Do you recall where the photo came from?

That is extremely interesting. Would love to see more about it.

Thanks,
                              David

Originally posted by JoeFin
                              Been toying with the idea of making Pantograph Plasma Cutter and was wondering if anyone has tried with any success so far.

Found this pic on the internet and the concept looks pretty good althou it would take so modification to apply it to a plasma cutter

Any thoughts ?

Comment

Working...
                              X