Milling vise stop from snugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling vise stop from snugs

A collection of some old 3/8" snugs and rods for dial indicators drove me to make a quick and dirty milling vise stop.

The main support is around 1-1/8" diameter with milled flat and is held to the rear vise jaw with only one bolt at this time. If it ever slips I'll probably use a paper shim to help lock it in place, keeping the ability to rotate it if necessary.

A half dozen repeatability tests with a 1-2-3 block, unclamped / removed / replaced / reclamped were all within 0.0002"

Den

Last edited by nheng; 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM.

Looks pretty good for "quick and dirty".
    Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

The "quick" part for me was about 30 minutes vs the months usually required for things on the honey-do list

The "dirty" part came from the 1-1/4" length of 50 year old mystery metal used for the main support. Looked pretty nasty before a quick OD turn on the lathe. Seemed heavier than but cleaned up like 6061. Haven't checked to see if it glows in the dark yet

Comment

Handy little job there.
        But I can't believe how clean it all is - I'm sure some of you guys would have a heart attack if you saw how full of swarf and oil my place is

Peter

Comment

Peter Neill: Nah see, it only took him 5 mins to make the part, and then 25 mins to clean up the exposed parts of the mill so he could photograph the picture
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
          X