X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RPease
    • Dec 2001

OT: Need help sending e-mail overseas

Hello........Maybe someone out there can answer a question for me.

Is there some "special" e-mail addressing criteria for sending an e-mail from the US to the UK or Italy??

My wife and I were in London between Christmas and New Years and met some people that we wanted to share some photos with, but everytime I try to e-mail the people, I get a "delivery failure" notice.

We met these people on a New Year's Eve dinner cruise on the Thames. I took some group photos and some of the sites along the Thames (i.e. London Eye, Big Ben, etc.) and wanted to send copies to the people we shared the evening with.

BTW........Those Londoners really put on a great fireworks display at the London Eye. It was VERY impressive. They also know how to "party". There must have be 250,000 along the Thames braving the cold to bring in the New Year.

Anyway............I'm sure that I have the e-mail addresses correct. The UK couple uses an "@hotmail.co.uk" address and the Italian couple use an "@hotmail.it" address and I'm sure the info before the "@" is correct. I thought that "maybe" there's some kind for special "prefix or suffix" that was required on an overseas address.

I've never sent an overseas e-mail before. I've made phone calls and know that they require special "codes", so I thought the e-mail might be similar.

Any help that you guys can give me is appreciated, as I'd like to send the photos to these people to give them a momento of the occasion.

Thanks and best regards..............Rodger
    RPease
  • dp
    • Mar 2005

Nothing special is needed. If the mail is undeliverable it may mean the address is canceled or the mailbox is full. Or you have the LHS (left hand side of the @) wrong. I've verified the RHS is valid.

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
      • Oct 2004

no special criteria.

the hotmail addys are full of spam ..so overloaded that the mail boxes get full...so you would get the undeliverable responce

try putting their phone number or email into google and see if it comes up with alternative email addresses from their postings on the net ..

UK...if you dont know their phone numbers ..but know their name and village/town ..
      use this site to get their phone number

all the best.markj
      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 01-09-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• EVguru
        • Dec 2008

Hotmail has a 25Mb attatchment limit, so it could be blocking a large image file.

It's also possible that your ISP has been 'banned' by hotmail if someone has sent a LOT of spam. This sort of thing happens quite a lot.

Many IPSs give you a substantial ammount of space to host your own website. I use an area of mine to host pictures, rather than photbucket etc. In many cases it's an easier way to transfer images.

Of course if you can't email them, you'll have to phone them to let them know where the pictures are, but you could also ask them to send you an email you can reply to, so you're sure the address is right.

I use Skype and Skype Out (to call landlines) for all of my overseas calls.
        Paul Compton
        www.morini-mania.co.uk
        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

• RPease
          • Dec 2001

Thanks Dennis.

I'm as certain as I can be about the LHS. The individuals wrote the addresses down (and they are quite clear.........no smudges) and unless they did it incorrectly (which seemed unlikely), maybe their mailboxes "are" full. Although I'd find it hard to believe that both were full.

I also tried sending them with and without attachments, just in case he files were too large to send. Made no difference.

Oh well..........it's their loss, as some of the photos turned out pretty good and the fireworks displays were great.

Thanks again............Rodger
          RPease

Comment

• SDL
            • Apr 2006

Try sending e-mail with no attachments first to establish contact, may avoid full in boxes or attachment problems etc..

Steve Larner

Comment

• RPease
              • Dec 2001

Thanks Mark..........I'll give the phonebook a try.

EVguru and Steve..........thanks also. I tried going without attachments due to possible size limits. Still no dice..........

Thanks all for the help.

Not having much experience with international e-mail, I didn't know what to think.

Thanks again.............rodg
              RPease

Comment

• Peter.
                • Mar 2008

Sign up to msn/live messenger and add them as contacts. Many people use their hotmail addresses as msn contact info.
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• RPease
                  • Dec 2001

BTW..............I took a "bunch" of photos at the London Science Museum. As soon as I get them cataloged, I'll try posting them to Photobucket.

The Science Museum is really a facinating place. There are "so many" steam engines and mechanical mechanizms and other things on display. I only got to spend about 8 hours in the place. I could have used 8 wks.............LOL.

Thanks again for the help.
                  RPease

Comment

• RPease
                    • Dec 2001

thx Peter...........I'll try that too.
                    RPease

Comment

• Peter.
                      • Mar 2008

I've done work in the museum a few times, cutting concrete etc. They used to have an area near the refectory where we cut out some concrete and they deliberately left it looking 'unfinished' as a display. Was a good few years ago I guess they must have renovated since then.
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                        • Dec 2004

try adding a . between the first and last names. For some unknown reason some people thinks it makes the email address easier to interupt !
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
                          • Aug 2002

There are several folks here on this BB in England. Try a "ping" to
                          one of them. John and Alistair (sp?) for example.
                          ...lew...

Comment

• Black_Moons
                            • Aug 2009

your ISP being banned is definately possable. Try signing up for a hotmail account yourself and sending an e-mail from it. Or asking a friend with a diffrent e-mail provider (diffrent @xxxxx.yyy then you) to send an e-mail to them.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• SDL
                              • Apr 2006

I e-mail all over the world and make no changes, try e-mailing me in uk here

steveunderscorelarneratbtinternetdotcom

Just change the red bits when you type it in.

when I receive I will write back ok

Steve Larner

Comment

Working...
                              X