South Bend, Hardinge Turret second operation lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend, Hardinge Turret second operation lathe

I have a South Bend 9 headstock made from rebuildable parts from many lathes that is runable. I have a South Bend 9 lathe bed I paid $ 5 locally as the only bidder I also have a Slone & Gage # 4-1/2 lathe ,US built in 192-30s that weighs 80 pounds bought for $ 12 from what used to be my favorite salvage yard that sold CI and steel for $0.15 a pound.
    I have always wanted to build a second operation lathe with South Bend parts and was able to buy a problem 9 inch Hardinge Turret for a very good price because the seller said it had been stored a long time in a non rust place and the Turret would not move in either direction. I bought it and was able to take the Turret head off and found no rust but a yellow colored coating that could be scraped off with my fingernail down to bright clean metal. Must be polymerized oil I thought and bought a gallon of Laquer Thinner and placed the unit upright in a close fitting thick plastic bag and completly covered it. Sealed it up and soaked it for 7 days. On opening it up
    I found the top and bottom slide apart allowing me to take it all apart and clean everything.
    When I begin to plan how to align the SB and Hardinge it looked like a long process and was ready to give up and resell now as a working unit.
    Then as I looked at my other Slone lathe bed I found it had a bed that closely matched the split bed with 2 triangular rails that the Hardinge fit. I placed the Turret in the bed and found it just a tad smaller but the angles matched.
    So as shown in he pic the SB head, the Hardinge Turret aligned close and could be tweked with shims to be workable.
    So now I can make the parts and adjustments to make a reasonable setup with US lathe parts. SB head, unknown cross slide and Hardinge Turret all mounted on the Slone bed,
    Not a franken lathe but maybe a frankenstine lathe.
    I did find the Hardinge better than an SB Turret in that the Hardinge has an adjustable stop that prevents side motion in forward movement and does nt need the top lock crank SB has.
    Walt
    toolman

Walt, do You have a manual for it?
    I have a turret tailstock from a rockwell screw machine that is a very close fit to My tiwan lathe that I plan to fit.
    How close is the fit as far as center from the vee to the center of the tool/lathe center, I know height can be cut or shimmed but the lateral adjustment can be troublesome,as in My case.
    Great project though, I need to get with it on Mine.

Steve

Comment

turret

Tony,the Hardinge Turret fits a slant split bed. Which means the bed is flat and is 2-5/8 inch wide and both sides taper out 45 degrees. The 4-1/2 inch is from the flat bottom to the center line of the spindle. So my Slone bed matches this shape only slighly smaller, so a thin shim will allow me to line the Turret with the center line of the lathe.
      Go to [email protected] uk and click on hardinge lathes and you will see what a slant split bed looks like.
      Walt
      toolman

Comment

Working...
      X