Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here abouts timber is a tree in the forest about to become lumber, lumber is what you get after cutting a piece of timber into long rectangles.

We quote lumber with the small # first IE: 2 x 4, 4 x 8 etc, same thing only different.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

The true reason we use the larger size first like 4 x 2 is when you whack someone round the bonce you get to use the widest side so have less chance of missing.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Here in Oz a tree is called a tree. When it's cut it becomes timber and lumber is how you describe someone walking with a heavy or clumsy gait.

(What ever happened to the furious arguement about metric vs. imperial? Perhaps we should all work in dioptres...)

Comment

two men of unknown ethnithcity go to a lumber yard to buy some wood. One of them waits in the car, the other goes inside to place an order. The purchaser goes inside and is asked by the clerk what he wants. The purchaser says "I need some 4"x2"s." The clerk says " you must mean 2"x4"s."

The purchaser, looking puzzled, says "let me go and check with my friend who is in the car" Back in the store, he says to the clerk "you're right, I need 2'x4's" The clerk says "How long do you want them?" The purchase says, "let me check" and goes outside.

Returning back inside, he says to the clerk " I need them for a long time. I'm going to build a house."
          gvasale

Comment

...ask for a 1/2" bolt and 95% of the time you will be given a 1/2-13....

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
              Just to add a bit of interest to our lives...the tapped holes in those aluminum 19" server/relay/telecom racks full of high tech equipment are usually#12-24.
              well, some of them are.....many are also 10-32.

Comment

You don't know what you are talking about. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Bguns View Post
                  John,
                  Here in the Simple US, it's always the specials...

The biggest problem I run into here, is a lot of the US Metric Bolt heads are 1 mm bigger than EU metric bolts...

Fun In tight spaces.. EU is used to that, I'm sure

61.1 Million Brits ought to be able to tell Us 300 million plus, to get it right
                  More BS!

Comment

Originally posted by psomero View Post
                    when you go to the hardware store, anybody worth a damn will know to ask you "coarse or fine thread pitch?" when you ask for that 1/2" bolt...
                    You just ask for M12 - Period! Only in metric challenged US will they ask for the pitch. If for some ungodly reason you need a "Fine Pitch" -ask for it!

Comment

Originally posted by tyrone shewlaces View Post
                      No. One standard with fine and course pitch. Metric has fine and course as well. Metric and imperial both also offer "special" threads but that's just stupid in most cases and we won't go there. No advantage of one over the other. The problem is that switching to metric takes tons of cash for tooling, so demanding that the manufacturing behemoth the US once was to change to metric because some French wussy, bottle-glasses Beaker scientist could then just move the decimal instead of having to remember a conversion factor just wasn't going to happen.

Yea and over here he'll bring you a 1/2-13. If you want fine pitch, then you'll have to send him back a second time.

I don't see why anyone thinks there's such an advantage to metric. The metric bolt notation even looks clumsy to me. Ever screw up and read 1.25 to be 1.75 for a pitch and vise-versa? That's the problem with metric. You want to be lazy and just move a decimal place? Fine. Now you have decimals in everything because you aren't allowed to just divide something up anymore. Especially if it's thirds or something. Oh God - Blasphemy! 1/3rd of a centimeter? Unheard of! Why? (I think the American engineers picked 13 for the pitch of a 1/2" bolt just as a jab to the metric fans. "1/13 of an inch? Is that even allowed?" hehe.)
                      I think people who love metric are the same type who hate fractions or something. US units are good for learning fractions. Units are supposed to be something divided up to begin with right? Whomever limited the divisions to only 10 was just short-sighted. Why not be able to divide something into whatever unit is the most useful instead of arbitrarily picking 10? THAT'S right - I called metric "arbitrary" and I meant it.

If a guy is not good with numbers, he's not going to be much good in either system. He'll be able to blame the "other" system though, so he's got that going for him.

The world will NEVER settle on a single standard I don't think. Unless metric could include the two most universal units in the universe, it will never take off. I'm speaking, of course, about the units of HH and FF. These are used more than any other unit in history and their intuitive relationship to all things is apparently undeniable. It's the newscasters' standard measure and the abbreviations of course stand for Human Hair and Football Field.

This silly "metric system" thing doesn't stand a chance.
                      "takes tons of cash" - another guy who does not know what he is talking about. When GM changed to metric they anticipated an enormous amount of money to be spent on the conversion. They ask the government for tax relieve for all the money spent to convert to metric. 1.they
                      found out it cost less than 1% of what they had estimated and by the third year they dropped all claims for tax relieve because the savings from going metric far exceeded the cost.
                      Look here: http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/pays-off.html#gm
                      Last edited by Juergenwt; 09-07-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Those " Imperial People" will fight on till death along with their friends in Liberia and Myanmar. They don't understand that the Metric train left the station long, long ago. They will keep on selling inch/pound/gallon/ Fahrenheit products as long as they find a buyer. After all - the horse and buggy worked just fine. Why change it. And the US used to be the leader! Right? All of this because we had a President (Regan) who was still in the age of the "Charge of the light brigade" and a Government unable to look past the next election. In the mean time the country suffers. Cans of food that give the weight in ounces and the ingredients in grams. Children unable to do math because the have to jump from metric to imperial. Industry fighting a running battle with product for sale in metric and engineers mired in the imperial system. Travelers being called stupid because they don't know how far 1 Km is. The list goes on and on. The next time you buy 325 mg aspirin pls tell me how much in imperial? If you have a 12 oz can of beer - how many in a barrel? But on and on they go fighting for the "Foot". And talking about a "foot" - why is it even called Football? That is just plain dumb! May be we should call it "Carry Ball" or American Rugby.

Comment

...and why yellow is clearly superior to orange.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                            Ssshhh Tim,
                            Don't let on that old Joseph who set the first standards up before American was even found and used 55 degrees with rounded roots and flanks is still the strongest thread form to date.

...and why metric threads are 55 degrees with rounded roots.

Comment

...Metric threads are 55 degrees with rounded roots, yes?

Comment

If not, then why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X