This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
    Just to add a bit of interest to our lives...the tapped holes in those aluminum 19" server/relay/telecom racks full of high tech equipment are usually#12-24.
    Only the computer nerds and the telephone people are stupid enough to use racks with 12-24 holes. The radio and TV industry uses 10-32. I have bought dozens of the racks and thousands of the screws. Always 10-32.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
      The switch from Inch to Number measuring for "small" threads produced some
      wierdcases. These are generally threads less than 1/4"
      In Number Screw sizes, You start with .060 as a base and it is a 0-80 thread, or 0-72 etc.
      ( Please note that .0625 is 1/16 , so " )" is close to that fraction benchmark)
      Each sequential thread size grows by .013" and gains one digit.
      A 1-72 for example is .073" and a 2-56 is .086 in the "Major Diameter" measurement.
      A 10-32 is .060 PLUS .130 ( 10 x .013) or .190
      Your old 3/16 thread is .1875"
      The only "exact" one is 1/8-40 (ie.) as it meets a 5-40 (.060+.065) at .125 dead on.

Real confusion is with the #14 threads (.060 + .182) as its .242
      So if you have a 1/4 -20 bolt, it will not fit a 14-20 hole !

Old machines and hardware still use the old standard of 100 ago

Its a lot easier, to refer to numbers than fractions.
      Can you imagine doing a 5/64-72 or a similar ?
      It was an attemp to make the range smaller than 1/64's
      Of course it doesn't get a simpler than Metric..but I won't go there

Rich
      Excellent post Rich !

Don't mean to nitpick but I just wanted to mention that the number series screws actually start with "quad-aught" 160's (0000-160) which have a major diameter of only .021" dia. The smallest I have ever seen are triple aught 120's with an O.D. of .034" and we actually have them as well as the taps in our shop. I can no longer see the threads without a magnifying glass. To be honest I can't remember the last time we used them though but we have used them - it's been probably literally decades ago as near as I can recall.

Comment

"Uh this machine is set to metric, how do I set it back."

"You can't it's Canadian."

"Ok, so what's 310 in F then?"

"Hot enough to melt nylon."

"...Yeah but I need to know what it is in F."

"No you don't. Just go with it."

"And what the hell is BAR? And everything is in MM. I can't run this."

"We've run it for three years without issue, maybe the problem is you?"

"No the problem is the machine uses non-standard measurments that I don't understand and I'm not about to learn. THIS IS AMERICA the rest of the world should be using our measurment system... not some system invented in France. What the **** is wrong with that picture? That's right, FRANCE. I REFUSE to use anything produced by the French or invented by the French."

"Ok... you're fired. Plain and simple. No one else had a problem with this, and on top of that while I have no great love of France or French culture we do have French and French-Canadian customers. Can't have you badmouthing the folks who pay us."

----
        This happened about six weeks ago. His attitude changed real quick, started backpeddling real fast when I threatened him. Now he's "down" with metric.

I never had any issue switching from one to the other, and I can think in metric just fine. Never had a issue. Only time problems cropped up for me was during conversion. That's when I decided to just think in metric for those applications rather than screw around with numbers.

Comment

The best reason NOT to use the Metric system... it's French...

Comment

Hating on the French is soooooo 10 years ago. Get with the times man.

Comment

Working...
            X