R8 collet won't fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8 collet won't fit?

I have this drill/mill from Lobos, dont know what model it is, probably is an import. it looks identical to the Grizzly G3358

http://grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G3358

I bought a set of import R8 collets and some fit, and didn't. I returned the set, and bought a Lindex 3/4" R8, and it won't fit either?!?!

it feels like the groove on the side of the Lyndex R8 is not deep enough. I tried installing the collet with and without an endmill. I do have 3 other collets from Grizzly (taiwanese) that fits with no trouble at all. what gives? is this usual?

How long have you had it? Did you buy it new? Is it still under warranty? Do you have any other toolholders that fit besides the 3 Grizzly collets?

Hard to tell without more info, but it sounds like the key in the spindle (that engages the groove) is extended out too far.

Comment

If you can, try removing the set screw in the spindle that engages the slot on collet. I don't know how easy it is to access it on this model of mill (or if it is even installed at all??).
      1. How far into the spindle will the collets go? Even w/ an endmill in, I'd think the .950 dia would fit to a point.
      2. Did you notice any scratches/marking on the ones that wouldn't go all the way in?
      I bury my work

Comment

Originally posted by SpyGuy
        How long have you had it? Did you buy it new? Is it still under warranty? Do you have any other toolholders that fit besides the 3 Grizzly collets?

Hard to tell without more info, but it sounds like the key in the spindle (that engages the groove) is extended out too far.
        I bought it used. I have the surface tool that's in the picture, that fit. two drill chucks with R8 bodies, those two fit as well (although, difficult to remove), 3 R8 taiwanese grizzly collets that fit. those are all i have.

is the key removable or adjustable?

Comment

Originally posted by recoilless
          If you can, try removing the set screw in the spindle that engages the slot on collet. I don't know how easy it is to access it on this model of mill (or if it is even installed at all??).
          1. How far into the spindle will the collets go? Even w/ an endmill in, I'd think the .950 dia would fit to a point.
          2. Did you notice any scratches/marking on the ones that wouldn't go all the way in?
          i can tell where the key is, but thats all it will go in.

Comment

At least removable

is the key removable or adjustable?
            [/QUOTE]

It should be, and many would submit that you don't really need it. Just kinda helps keep collet from spinning when turning draw bar. Many mills out there w/out the key in them
            I bury my work

Comment

well, if that's the case, then the key is coming off tonight. will save me 20 seconds everytime I install a different collet

Comment

Quite a coincidence! Same thing just happened to me this past week. A new Busy Bee store just opened up here this past December and I was in looking around...saw a nice little R-8 to MT2 adapter and had to have it. I got it home, went to slip it into my BP clone mill....and no go! I miked the .9490 to .9495 end and found that it was within specs. Then I miked an R-8 3/4" collect which is the tightest fitting (very tight) of the handful of R-8 toolholders that I have and it proved to be 3 to 4 ten thous smaller in diameter than the MT2 adapter and the adapter mikes out at .9495. Apparently my spindle is just a tad on the tight side so I will have to carefuly reduce the diameter down on my brand new adapter until it slips home. I suspect the same might hold true for you.
                Last edited by Arcane; 01-15-2010, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Hmmm

Looks Chinese Good Luck.

Comment

I would suspect the key causing the problem. Measure the bore of the spindle to see if it is bigger than the collets and if so then the key is the trouble.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Had one like that, the keyway on the collet was off center by a few thou. and it would not fit. If some fit and some don't it would seem that the collets are guilty.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                        Had one like that, the keyway on the collet was off center by a few thou. and it would not fit. If some fit and some don't it would seem that the collets are guilty.
                        Ditto here too
                        Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

I had trouble with the groove in many of my collets not being deep enough. I went at them with a Dremel and the quarter sized cut off wheel to deepen the ones that needed it and now they work fine. Mine came from Enco and I paid for imports, not the pricey ones!
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I can't imagine a Lyndex collet being the wrong size. I have to say my other Taiwanese R8s are cut deeper then necessary (fortunately, they fit the mill). I tried to mill the groove deeper on the Lyndex, it just feels wrong to do that to a $30 collet.

I took a peek into the column and the "key" that goes into the R8's groove is just a pin. Unfortunately, in order to get to the pin, i need to remove the spindle shaft. Is this a simple procedure? I know there are bearings in there are two bearing involved (tapered bearing and another bearing)... would i have to press these bearings in/out or will the spindle just come off if i just undo the take up nut?

there is a hole on the side of the quill, but can't reach the pin, only visual, which makes it more frustrating.

Comment

I know others will be aghast at this suggestion but if you take a die grinder with a burr and reach in and grind the pin flat with the bore it will no longer bother you.

This is best done with so way to watch in the bore while your grinding. Do be careful to stay away from the angled surface at the entry of the bore.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X