Big Honkin' Air Rifle Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Honkin' Air Rifle Project

I know this was done a long time ago (Lewis and Clark killed Elk with one) and I would like to build a modern version.

Been planning this for several years in my mind, but I'm too dumb to answer some of my questions......

What I'm planning is roughly as follows...

Small (3.5" Dia. x 12" long or so) 2800 psi oxygen bottle for the buttstock (open to other suggestions).

Barrel...smoothbore (to reduce friction)possibly a .410 shotgun bbl with rifled choke tube.

Shooting a saboted projectile (?).

How much will bbl length affect velocity?

What would I be getting for muzzle velocity with say a projectile weight of 100 grains or so (including sabot) per inch of bbl?. I'm hoping to get 1000-1200 ft per second out of an 80-90 grain projectile (after sabot discards).

What would be a cost effective way to release the gas pressure for the length of time it takes the projectile to leave the bbl?

Maybe I would be better served with a 30 cal barrel shooting commercially available sabots for .224 bullets........

I'm sure more questions will arise as the discussion ensues.

Thanks,
    HB

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 10-17-2003).]
    NRA Lifetime Member

You might like to read this previous thread:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/003764.html
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Why is barrel abbreviated, "bbl"? Or is that something else, like breech block?

Comment

Hellbender,

I'd use CO2 rather than O2... Unless you wouldn't mind the rifle occasonally becoming a flame thrower. HEY..., how about using mixed gases and a heat source to increase the speed of the projectile with combustion?

Dr Rob,

I've always thought bbl meant "bull barrel" indicating the lack of taper on a thick barrel.

Comment

Actually, for that pressure CO2 will liquefy. Use simple compressed air and recharge from a scuba tank.

Comment

bbl. is the abbreviation for barrel for the same reason that lbs. is the abbreviation for pounds, or that Mrs. and Ms. are the abbreviations for no real words at all.
            Jim H.

Comment

Evan, thanks for the link, I had watched that thread a while back.

Dr. Rob, good question, I have always known it to be for "barrel"....another question....why is pound abbreviated lb.?

tonydacrow, as Evan states, the CO2 will not attain those pressures without liquifying, I can recharge high pressure air from a scuba tank easily.

Thanks,
              HB

Edit: I see JC beat me to the lb. thing!

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 10-17-2003).]
              NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Do you live in Canada? Why mess with an air rifle when you can have a real gun? One thing I love in America is the right to KEEP & BEAR ARMS. WHEN FREEDOM IS OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL BE FREE. It's worth dying for. "Give me liberty, or give me death" Patrick Henry. "When there's nothing worth dying for, there's left to live for." Me, Later, Smitty
                Smitty.... Ride Hard, Die Fast

Comment

bikenut..... No, I'm in Missouri, and I have a bunch of guns, and high-power airguns.

But I don't have an airgun that could kill a deer at 100 yards, and I don't know of anything commercially available, but I know it can be done, and I would like to figure out how.
                  NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

HB,

Have a look at this guy's stuff.

http://www.barnespneumatic.com/index.html

BTW pound=lb= Latin "libra"

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-17-2003).]

Comment

Hellbender, To have enough power to kill at 100 yards you would have to have a decent size projectile, like a .270, with a hell of a lot of air pressure to push it out that far and still have enough energy to knock something down. I'm living in Iowa right now, what a ****ty nanny state this place is. Came from Arizona where you can carry a gun all day every day, can't wait to get the hell out of here. This place is like the rest of the "civilized" world where the government want's to do all of your thinking for you.

Comment

Hello
                        Check out these airguns at:
                        "www.glbarnes.com"
                        I think you will find the information usefull.
                        Yankee1

Comment

Hello Again
                          And while were on the topic check out:
                          "www.connext.net/~daq/index.html"
                          As you can see I share your interest in
                          airguns. I shoot all kinds of weapons but
                          shoot airguns more than anything I own.
                          I shoot about 20,000 pellets a year. Sometimes more.
                          Yamkee1

Comment

Evan, that guy does some beautiful work, but I think I'll stick with my '06. I can bust a "light stick" at 200 yards at night. Thats the kind of shooting me and my brother used to do when we went camping out in the sticks in Washington state. I checked into moving to Canada, could just make the cut as a skilled worker. Checked into the gun laws, to me it ain't worth trading my freedom for health care. How do you feel about it? If my ass is hanging out there on the line, I want more than a BB gun for protection. Smitty

Comment

Evan and Yankee1--I had no idea someone was building what I wanted. Looks like I just need to start saving a few pennies.....

Thanks for the info.

HB
                              NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Working...
                              X