Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
    Nice rig John, I have a small router I picked up at a flea market and was wondering what to do with it. Just the ticket. That piece of Osage Orange reminded me that around here (midwest), it was also called "iron wood". I have been told by oldtimers (years ago) that teamsters that had a strong team of horses, liked to get single trees and double trees made of Osage Orange. It was difficult to make, but once you did, it was good for life.
    Sarge
    Mr. Hobdeclipe, a nice execution. I've done the same with a Makita 3612 on the ram end but have a knuckle in the mount to get vert/horz. I removed the plunge portion. Very handy for carbide burrs.
    As for the osage orange, though regional terms vary, it isn't really "ironwood" but has a Janka rating harder yet.
    Otherwise, characteristics are very similar to mulberry (color, rot resistance and fuel value).

Comment

• Around here (N.E. Texas) we call the wood "Bois d'Arc" and if you mention Osage Orange a lot of people won't know what you're talking about. The wood is indeed hard, tough and springy to the point that it makes excellent archery bows, hence the name. I have a web page that tells a bit more about it:

http://www.auldooly.com/bodark001.html

The piece that I'm working on in the fourth picture will be a bowl. It had been a foundation pier under a house for about 55 years before I got it (the guy remodeling the house gave me a pickup load of these.) I started doing this on the milling machine because turning rough and gnarly, cracked and knotty pieces on the wood lathe got to be expensive...broken tool rest, broken "banjo" etc.

Pound for pound, this wood has about the same heat output as coal. However, burning it in a fireplace is not advised as it spits, pops, and throws out a lot of sparks.

Comment

• Hello gang,
        I finally came up with a couple projects that might be worthy of this great exhibition of workmanship and ideas. Although these are are not ugly, they are definitely in the "ideas" class.
        The first is a slotting tool I made to make an internal keyway. I was inspired by others, such as (mikes workshop) but I used the Aloris (bxa) boring bar holder to securely hold the tool.

The second tool also uses the boring bar holder and the tube section of the slotting tool for a radius tool. The tube is lightly held in the bb holder allowing it to be turned. The radius tool still needs some tweaking as the bit holder and screw are a little weak...

Thanks for the inspiration fellow tinkerers.
        Ben

Comment

• Cool, those are great!

Comment

• brilliant, ben. (stealing ideas now)
            san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• I like the over the top ball turner! How well does it cut going over the top like that? Is that a 10" logan?
              Andy

Comment

• Nice ,,, I think those 2 may be my next project

Comment

• Thanks for compliments.

Andy, the cutting action is really no different than from the side. As it is, it is a little difficult to set so I will work on a new set up.
                  The lathe is a SB13.

Comment

• There have been some ball turning accessories made using a small offset boring head with the shank through the boring bar holder which does give graduated movement. And there are a few designs from scratch for the same over-the-top ball turning. Ben's design does indeed use the cutting tool in the "conventional" position to the work but many have the cutter tangential so the cutting face is on the end. The advantage is that it directs cutting forces directly back to the toolpost but it takes a little more head scratching and visualizing to think about the cutter grind.
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben eide View Post
                      The first is a slotting tool I made to make an internal keyway. I was inspired by others, such as (mikes workshop) but I used the Aloris (bxa) boring bar holder to securely hold the tool.
                      Nifty! Now if you make another piston for that but with a drill chuck on the end, you'll also have a sensitive drilling attachment...

Comment

• I will have to check out that boring head set up. Sounds intriguing.
                        Ben

Comment

• Indicator stop for Hardinge lathe

Hi Everyone,

I spotted this little attachment in the Hardinge manual and it was just what I needed. A magnetic base I tried just wasn’t solid enough for my .0001 inch indicator.

Sooo, rummaging around in my scrap pile I found a piece of iron w/2 bosses that I had sawed off from a larger casting. I figured that it might work out about right for my version:

While I had a dovetail cutter out, I added the 60 degree vee slots along the top in case I want to add some other type of clamp in the future. I must have grabbed a piece of ammco bronze for the bottom shoe 'cuz it was quite difficult to cut!

This is how I tried to use it, but it proved to also not be solid enough:

Continued in next post…………………..
                          Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

• Sooo……. I made this holder for the indicator and now all is right with the world! I can loosen the dial clamp and zero it w/o the needle moving at all:

Here it is on the lathe:

Now, sneaking up to the last .001” by .0001” steps is a walk in the park!
                            Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

• this looks very useful.

Comment

• That's a very nice piece of work Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X