No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, and no, I didn't make those tables. These are part of old Soviet industrial workholding kits: got them few years ago online from Ukraine I think. There were hundreds of standardized types: tables, angle plates, jacks, bolts, clamps, faceplates.. you name it. Very good geometry and hard to 61 HRC, way beyond my capacity to make.

Here's a couple of pictures of them used in combination. To keep it on topic, the horizontal milling arbor for 3 sizes was also made by me, so is the (not entirely finished) scraper head.

Comment

• Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Made myself a self actuating EDM system to desintegrate broken taps. Fits into a TTS spindle. Cheap, easy and very usefull! I'm making a video to explain how I build it and how it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by DEVILHUNTER View Post
          Made myself a self actuating EDM system to desintegrate broken taps. Fits into a TTS spindle. Cheap, easy and very usefull! I'm making a video to explain how I build it and how it works.

This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen!
          Max
          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by DEVILHUNTER View Post
            Made myself a self actuating EDM system to desintegrate broken taps. Fits into a TTS spindle. Cheap, easy and very usefull! I'm making a video to explain how I build it and how it works.

I would like to encourage you to do a build log on that EDM unit. I think there a lot of folks who would be very interested
            in building one. If not a build log, then maybe you could supply more information on the basics?

Thanks,
            Pete
            1973 SB 10K .
            BenchMaster mill.

Comment

• I was just watching a video about that
              very thing on youtube a few days ago.
              It was very interesting and I think it
              would be a very valuable tool for the
              shop. I would very much like some
              instructions on how to build one.
              Thanks for posting.

Comment

• <DEVILHUNTER> - Very interesting, I would like to see how you built this EDM-tool and how well it's performing.
                -There is always a better method
                -Find it
                -Use it
                https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tompas11

Comment

• Don't worry guys, that was my idea. I hope to start writing it on monday.

Comment

• See also this article:
                    http://www.stockportsme.com/211338294

My own versions of Derek Lynas's idea are here:
                    http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/a-sp...apparatus.html
                    and
                    http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/a-sp...atus-mk-3.html

Mike

Comment

• Well Mike, that was really nice to see.
                      Do you have any plans for the metal parts of the construction?
                      -There is always a better method
                      -Find it
                      -Use it
                      https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tompas11

Comment

• My mechanical parts were basically the same as those of Derek Lynas. You can request a copy of the drawingsfrom the first link that I gave. The difference with my machine is with the electronics and these are detailed in the second link. The third link is a later modification which provides a motor feed. I do not have plans for this. It is a useful mod because it ensures optimum performance as the erosion takes place and it provides an indication of the amount of erosion that has taken place.
                        If there were sufficient interest I could write up the whole project.
                        Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by drmico60 View Post
                          My mechanical parts were basically the same as those of Derek Lynas. You can request a copy of the drawingsfrom the first link that I gave. The difference with my machine is with the electronics and these are detailed in the second link. The third link is a later modification which provides a motor feed. I do not have plans for this. It is a useful mod because it ensures optimum performance as the erosion takes place and it provides an indication of the amount of erosion that has taken place.
                          If there were sufficient interest I could write up the whole project.
                          Mike
                          sounds like an article for the magazine too
                          san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• A simple EDM was in the magazine several years ago. Besides removing broken taps, drills, or fasteners, it was capable of doing shaped holes, pockets, etc. A long thread ensued following the appearance of the article; the design did not properly protect the operator from line voltage. My basic knowledge of electrical circuits was not sufficient for me to understand the problem and suggested solutions.

The editor finally closed the thread and removed it. This was before George joined the magazine.

A simple machine would be very useful to most shops.
                            North Central Arkansas

Comment

• tools

Originally posted by Peter N View Post
                              I would have said it's the mismatched steps at the ends, but who knows? Might be the holes.

Nice post btw, keep it up.
                              So can you make special tools we need for our shop ?

Comment

• Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
                                A simple EDM was in the magazine several years ago. Besides removing broken taps, drills, or fasteners, it was capable of doing shaped holes, pockets, etc. A long thread ensued following the appearance of the article; the design did not properly protect the operator from line voltage. My basic knowledge of electrical circuits was not sufficient for me to understand the problem and suggested solutions.

The editor finally closed the thread and removed it. This was before George joined the magazine.

A simple machine would be very useful to most shops.
                                Hi Everyone,

Here is a shop built EDM/disintegrator that I built w/a lot of help from an electronics friend:

It is described in detail here, starting w/post #24:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...M-Spark-Eroder

The electrode only has about 10 to 15 volts running through it so you could even hold it while it is cutting with no harm to you.

I updated this thread last year 'cuz I had to make a metric hex for an obsolete machine that was made in Switzerland:

Here is the finished metric socket head just waiting for final lathe work:

It is really quite low tech and well within the range of most machinists/mechanics because the electronics have been tested and proven w/no failures after 17 years of occasional use.

P.S. Forgot to add link to 2 min 39 sec YouTube video showing operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMCHu4It-k
                                Last edited by jhe.1973; 04-26-2016, 02:46 AM.
                                Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

Working...
                                X