No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built a rotary weld positioner to recenter some H1 Hummer wheels for a mini dump truck project.

https://youtu.be/P0DBmhCe3Lo

https://youtu.be/lT8jdmBQ4lg
    I built a mini dozer for my kids. More of the build can be seen at www.minidozerbuild.com

Comment

• Super nice!

Comment

• Nice built and very nice weld. Are you a professional welder?
        -There is always a better method
        -Find it
        -Use it
        https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tompas11

Comment

• Originally posted by tompas11 View Post
          Nice built and very nice weld. Are you a professional welder?
          I appreciate that but no. My brother is and he has given me some pointers. Other than that, it's just practice.
          I built a mini dozer for my kids. More of the build can be seen at www.minidozerbuild.com

Comment

• Some V blocks:

Full thread here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...99#post1047699

Also had to slightly increase the bore of a long tube, so I made a half meter extension for a adjustable reamer.

Last edited by DEVILHUNTER; 05-08-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• "Also had to slightly increase the bore of a long tube, so I made a half meter extension for a adjustable reamer."

Mighta found the devil on that one.

Comment

• Another shop tool - a straightedge. I actually have some larger ones too but this casting I found at NAMES was just too cute to pass up.

I don't know whether it will make a real contribution to machine restoration but I can now hold papers down with some precision.
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• This is a T slot cleaner I built ,usually use pick end to clear heavy cutting then clean with T nut,works great.

[IMG]

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag292/tundratwintrack/image.jpg2_zpsjzpk9rub.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 05-16-2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Nice tool TTT!

Comment

• Originally posted by TRYPHON974 View Post
                      ..snip

ring roller MK1: just hit it !

Nice!

Most of my metal working is blacksmithing, not machining, and here's my bender I made to form an arc on a pot rack and baby gate. It's kind of MK1.5

Originally posted by TRYPHON974 View Post
                      ring roller MK2

Yes... these are roller wheels and yes...it works,one meter of a 2mm flat bar rolled in no time
                      Can you provide a bit more detail about MK2? How was it constructed, and how do you feed the material through the bender? That's something I'd use for an upcoming project.

Comment

• As sort of a way of introduction since I've only browsed a little since I joined here's some pictures of a few of my own shop made tools.

First up is the flat vise as offered in Guy Lautard's Bedside Reader. It's not a direct copy. I just took the idea and dug out a hunk of metal that was roughly 3x3 and started making the stuff. The holes have sort of appeared as different sizes were required and with SOME care to ensure that I don't drill one such that the foot on the other end sits over a previous hole.

The clamp shown on this picture isn't very thick and tended to bend. I don't recall exactly why I thought it was good to be this thin. It's since been replaced with a 1/4 inch thick clamp to replace the 1/8" thick one shown here.

These are THE most valuable accessory for a drill press. If you do small parts and have not made one I urge you to take some time and do so.

Next up is one of the pair of die holders for the tail stock of my lathe. The picture shows the one for the larger size dies. But I've also got a smaller holder for 13/16 diameter dies. In use they ride on a 1/2" drill rod arbor that I clamp into the drill chuck.

Here's a picture of some MT3 arbors I made It took a while to figure out the method but once I got it I found that it wasn't that tough to fine tune the tapers using a MT3 socket as a tester and get the taper so that even a light bump locked the tapers in snugly. The smaller mill/drill I used these with has been sold off to my Brother in Law for his shop and I've replaced it with a new small knee mill which uses R8 collets. So I need to make up a few arbors for my slitting saws and the like now.

The ram on the tail stock has a scale on it but it's a fixed one. So I made up this aluminium gizmo and a movable marker. In use a 6 inch ruler lives on top of the tail stock and moves back and forth while attached to the magnet of the holder on the ram. This both makes it easy to keep an eye on drilling depths and I always know where there's a ruler in a handy spot.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• The tailstock ruler magnet idea is a good one! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Welcome, and thanks for sharing. I like that flat vise for drilling washers!

Comment

• Here's a second shot of the tail stock ruler holder with more detail of the pointer and the small rare earth magnet that holds it in place. I'd have included it with the last post but there's a 4 picture maximum apparently.

The extra utility I've gotten from this easy to make addition has repaid the hour and a half worth of effort many times over.

For those that wish to make something of the sort the pointer is made from a short scrap of 1/8 thick aluminium angle and the ram's plate is from some 1/4 inch aluminium. I suspect steel would work too but I sort of wanted to use aluminium so it would isolate the magnets so the whole parts would not be magnetic and hold chips. As it is now the chips that do collect are easily wiped away thanks to the aluminium.

Last edited by BCRider; 05-20-2016, 02:30 PM.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                                First up is the flat vise as offered in Guy Lautard's Bedside Reader. It's not a direct copy. I just took the idea and dug out a hunk of metal that was roughly 3x3 and started making the stuff. The holes have sort of appeared as different sizes were required and with SOME care to ensure that I don't drill one such that the foot on the other end sits over a previous hole.
                                good job, I made one those as well. There's some tasks i don't know how I'd do with without it
                                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X