No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• made a 60deg dovetail cutter after the one I made out of O1 tool steel bit the dust. Nothing new here, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out

it's starting to chip a little behind the nose, so I think I'll grind a bit of a nose radius on it to help it hold up.

Comment

• Made some machinery skates.
      Since I bought a used lathe and I needed to move it under a car port and into a shop. I needed some skates. I started with 1/4” plate and torch cut it. “Crack heads stole my plasma cutter”

I used a 20T jack and just some 2” square tubing and 3/8” X 2” angle iron for a die.

Surplus center has some rollers for $4.99 each with bearings. And I picked up some 20MM O-1 drill rod for my shafts. Surplus Center does not rate the rollers but they are from the front of pallet jacks. An eBay search I found similar ones in the 2700#-5000# load ranges each. I can push the lathe by myself on the concrete floor no problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremy13 View Post
        Made some machinery skates.
        Since I bought a used lathe and I needed to move it under a car port and into a shop. I needed some skates. I started with 1/4” plate and torch cut it. “Crack heads stole my plasma cutter”

Surplus center has some rollers for $4.99 each with bearings. And I picked up some 20MM O-1 drill rod for my shafts. Surplus Center does not rate the rollers but they are from the front of pallet jacks. An eBay search I found similar ones in the 2700#-5000# load ranges each. I can push the lathe by myself on the concrete floor no problem.
        Did you put anything on the tops of them to keep them from slipping under the machine?
        Last edited by bborr01; 07-18-2016, 01:56 PM.
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• Shop Made Tools

I put 1/2" studs in the threaded holes. And let them go in the leveling feet holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Simple, effective and well thought out. Very nice job.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
              made a 60deg dovetail cutter after the one I made out of O1 tool steel bit the dust. Nothing new here, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out

It's starting to chip a little behind the nose, so I think I'll grind a bit of a nose radius on it to help it hold up.
              Have any dimensions? What insert did you use?

Simple, but very nicely made, and a very useful tool to make plenty of QCTP holders.
              That goes on the top of my "stop procrastinating and just do it" list.
              Thank You!
              I hear and I forget.
              I see and I remember.
              I do and I understand.
              Confucius (孔夫子)

Comment

• Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                Did you put anything on the tops of them to keep them from slipping under the machine?
                Please don't quote all the pictures when you reply to a post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                  Please don't quote all the pictures when you reply to a post.
                  I fixed it for you. Are you still on dialup?

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

• Thank you.
                    I'm not on dialup, it's just a courtesy to other readers.

Comment

• Hi

I designed this L00 lathe spindle nose protector. This is essential with this type of spindle without a chuck fitted. The protector stops the retaining ring rattling around and it eliminates the hazard of the key way getting caught when spinning.

This is my first design. It was printed at the local library. With 3D printing I was able to include features that I could not machine by traditional means. The print cost less than a chunk of machinable plastic stock.

Last edited by dazz; 07-25-2016, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dazz View Post
                        Hi

I designed this L00 lathe spindle nose protector. This is essential with this type of spindle without a chuck fitted. The protector stops the retaining ring rattling around and it eliminates the hazard of the key way getting caught when spinning.

This is my first design. It was printed at the local library. With 3D printing I was able to include features that I could not machine by traditional means. The print cost less than a chunk of machinable plastic stock.
                        Your library has 3d printers?

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

• Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                          Your library has 3d printers?

Brian
                          Not just any library. It is the National Library of New Zealand.
                          http://natlib.govt.nz/visiting/wellington/3d-printing
                          Even more helpful is that the library is located next to my work place.

Comment

• Originally posted by dazz View Post
                            Not just any library. It is the National Library of New Zealand.
                            http://natlib.govt.nz/visiting/wellington/3d-printing
                            Even more helpful is that the library is located next to my work place.
                            That's pretty cool!

Nice idea on the nose protector too. One word of caution though, in case you don't know - a lot of the plastic rapid-prototype materials are fairly brittle, and the parts are prone to breaking along the knit lines as well, so be careful about banging anything very hard against that protector.

We have a couple large rapid prototype machines here at work (testing/R&D facility) and frequently have to explain to people that the prototypes are not structurally sound.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                              That's pretty cool!

Nice idea on the nose protector too. One word of caution though, in case you don't know - a lot of the plastic rapid-prototype materials are fairly brittle, and the parts are prone to breaking along the knit lines as well, so be careful about banging anything very hard against that protector.

We have a couple large rapid prototype machines here at work (testing/R&D facility) and frequently have to explain to people that the prototypes are not structurally sound.
                              First time I touched one years ago (10ish I think) I broke it. Was a door hinge, for a car I was designing a checking fixture for. It lasted about 2.9 seconds. They've come a long way since. We had some abs hood hinges in a few months ago that were actually quite impressive, and functional. I wish my library had a 3d printer. Haven't been there in years, but I could see it becoming a regular stop on the way home from work ha ha.

Anyway, nice work on the spindle protector. Stuff like this I see as a great use for a 3d printer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                                First time I touched one years ago (10ish I think) I broke it. Was a door hinge, for a car I was designing a checking fixture for. It lasted about 2.9 seconds. They've come a long way since. We had some abs hood hinges in a few months ago that were actually quite impressive, and functional. I wish my library had a 3d printer. Haven't been there in years, but I could see it becoming a regular stop on the way home from work ha ha.

Anyway, nice work on the spindle protector. Stuff like this I see as a great use for a 3d printer.
                                Hi
                                This was the first ever 3D print I have designed. The library only prints PLA so that is what it is made of. It seems to be strong enough but it is certainly not the best material for this application but if it fails I will just get on printed in Nylon at a higher cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X