Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SpoonerandForker View Post
    Have any dimensions? What insert did you use?

Simple, but very nicely made, and a very useful tool to make plenty of QCTP holders.
    That goes on the top of my "stop procrastinating and just do it" list.
    Thank You!
    Sorry, i missed this. The widest part is 5/8, necked down to .4in (i think) with a 1/2in shank. Insert is an old tpg221 ( poss 220) a friend gave me. I had to increase the noise take with a diamond cutoff wheel to prevent chipping, but it managed to cut 12in of dovetail in steel just fine. It'll work even better in alu, which I'll be making future holders out of - working with steel on my drill press is terrifying AND abusive!

Dazz, awesome print! Super cool to hear of the resources there, almost makes me wish i still lived in nz

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
      ...working with steel on my drill press is terrifying AND abusive!...
      Steel cuts like butta' if you use a sharp bit. Should not be terrifying or abusive. Use a vise or hold-downs where necessary for safety. What kind of trouble are you having?
      12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
      Index "Super 55" mill
      18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
      7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
      24" State disc sander

Comment

• Lack of rigidity is the biggest problem, plus this single edge cutter hammers the spindle. There's enough flex that end mills wander when cutting a slot, to the extent that I snapped 2 before I realized what was happening. Still, given that this is a drill press with a collet chuck and a cheap xy vise, I shouldn't even be able to do that it's better than nothing but I can't wait until I get a proper mill!

Comment

• Lack of rigidity, eh? I've been troubled by that from time to time---
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
            ...There's enough flex that end mills wander...
            No, a drill press is not a milling machine.
            Index "Super 55" mill
            24" State disc sander

Comment

• Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
              No, a drill press is not a milling machine.

I had figured that one out for myself

Comment

• Made a mount to hold my lathe steadies.

Also finally made rack to hold my larger drill bits.was getting tired of digging thru a box of thenm looking for a certain size.

Comment

• Nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by j king View Post
                    Made a mount to hold my lathe steadies.
                    Is that lower steady a spider in a roller bearing? Looks really useful, I like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                      Is that lower steady a spider in a roller bearing? Looks really useful, I like that.
                      Yes it is. Works great on those odd shaped pieces or something you want to throw off or to protect finish

Comment

• some pics of the finished tool holders. Original holder on the left, alu blocks for new holders on the right.

Last edited by mattthemuppet; 08-01-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• few pics of the process and my notamill

not a bad finish considering the many shortcomings of what I made them with. The alu ones (for smaller bits/ bars) shouldn't take anywhere near as long and then I'll have holders for all of the tools I use with any frequency.

Comment

• Originally posted by j king View Post
                            Yes it is. Works great on those odd shaped pieces or something you want to throw off or to protect finish
                            I could really use one like that. Did you make it? I'm guessing it uses tapered rollers and some way to adjust preload?

Comment

• Why aluminum for the Q/C holders? You'd think that would be far inferior to even mild steel, for stiffness, longevity, thread strength, etc.
                              Index "Super 55" mill
                              24" State disc sander

Comment

• Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                                Why aluminum for the Q/C holders? You'd think that would be far inferior to even mild steel, for stiffness, longevity, thread strength, etc.
                                because it's a) what I have, b) easier to machine, c) strong enough for 0XA holders that it's used to make the A2Z CNC tool post holders. We're talking 1/4in bits on an Atlas 618, not 1in WNMG holders on an oil field lathe.

Oh, and thanks for the supportive comments about the holders I made

Comment

Working...
                                X