Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
    Now that's a very nice example of home shop work, nicely done!

However it looks fairly.....square. have you considered adding rounded grooves down the edges of the base? Meant for your fingertips to fold into and makes an indicator stand/surface gauge nicer to use and more comfortable.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    I know that's the standard design feature, but I don't have a good ball end, and I was worried about mucking up the part after all the tedious work I did flycutting the faces. I filed the edges round, and I don't mind the feel, so I'm not planning on adding a finger groove.

I've never owned or even use one of these before, so I don't have any preconceived notions about what a stand should be.

Comment

• What is a mini pallet??
      Who do I think you are...?

Comment

• Matt, if not a finger groove then there are other options. For example a line of large drill "starter" hollows. You know, the shape you get before the drill fully enters the metal? I've done that in the past with OK results. To keep it from wobbling around I started with a center drill and then opened it up just slightly before using the large final size. A small patch of emery cloth pushed in with a wooden dowel works like a treat for smoothing the mark and matching the finish. Try it on some scrap and see if it's something you like. If not for the surface gauge then perhaps for something else down the road.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP View Post
          What is a mini pallet??
          I ran into that too. From looking around it seems like a small sub table used for holding smaller parts using smaller clamps than a normal machine table and clamping setup. And in some cases to produce a holder that can be moved between machines to aid in maintaining consistency.

Think of it as the milling machine equivalent to a lathe face plate and you would not be far off.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            I ran into that too. From looking around it seems like a small sub table used for holding smaller parts using smaller clamps than a normal machine table and clamping setup. And in some cases to produce a holder that can be moved between machines to aid in maintaining consistency.

Think of it as the milling machine equivalent to a lathe face plate and you would not be far off.
            Correct. I made one two or three years ago, and use it once in a blue moon for what I do. Mostly in the drill press to hold small parts you don't want spinning (aka finger bashers!)

Comment

• More AXA Toolholders....

Bought some more cheap import insert holders and then realised I had nothing left to put them in... again....

So got some unknownium (EN36?) from my scrap pile and made a dozen more AXA style toolholders:

Shop made single flute dovetail cutter used nice finish but noisy...

Paul

Comment

• More AXA Toolholders.... II

More pics

Comment

• Paul--nice job.
                  12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                  Index "Super 55" mill
                  18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                  7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                  24" State disc sander

Comment

• I cannot see the pics!
                    Cheers
                    Roger

2/16/2016: I can now see the pics. What changed?
                    Last edited by rcaffin; 12-16-2016, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• Nice work. I really need a mill.
                      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Cylindrical grinding spin fixture in progress. For use on the surface grinder.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

• More AXA Toolholders.... III

Deburring and corner chamfering:

Blacking line:

Blacking complete waiting for the dewatering oil to dry

Studs need to be loctited in and some more thumb nuts made then all done.... all I need now is somewhere to put them....

Paul

Comment

• Just finished this press brake I've been working on for a while. Worked even better than I expected!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Blacking line - what brand chemicals? Please!

somewhere to put them
                              Details, details!

Cheers
                              Roger

Comment

• Originally posted by chickenfarmer View Post
                                Just finished this press brake I've been working on for a while. Worked even better than I expected!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                                I would be interested to get a walk through on how it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X