X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work. Welcome to the Forum.
    Kansas City area

Comment

• Welcome to your new home on the net. I still have a center punch that I made in high school shop class 60 years ago, and a set of parallel clamps that my dad made 80 years ago. Both still work and look as good as when new.
      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Welcome to the Forum.
        Very nice V-blocks. Love the simple diamond dresser.

Mike

Comment

• Welcome, I agree nice work. Please be willing to share your experience with the rest of us.

Comment

• Know the feeling when either quick-change toolpost key or chuck key are lost never to be found on the same time? Find one and the other is lost instantly..

Rotary broached 8mm square socket, milled new chuck key out of 42crmo and combine all these with 13mm socket. Tig welded together and hardened the working ends

Comment

• Know the feeling when either quick-change toolpost key or chuck key are lost never to be found on the same time?
              Nope.
              The chuck key is either in my hand or on top of the headstock. I do not let it go anywhere else - and certainly NOT when it is in the chuck.
              The QCTP ring spanner is ALWAYS on the QCTP nut. I do not remove it except to rotate the toolpost to a different angle.
              The drill chuck key is either in my hand or in its socket nearby.
              All simple self-discipline (which also avoids putting the chuck key through my head).

Cheers
              Roger

Comment

• Roger, fair enough. Top of headstock is where I would keep my tools also but I have rounded headstock

And the tool is for quick-change toolholder bolt, not qctp nut.

Comment

• Rolling vertical mill

Rolling Clausing 8520 vertical mill.

My shop is relatively small, at least from my perspective.

All of my workbenches and tools are mounted on castors.

I have finally got my mill mounted on castors.

Ralph

Comment

• Top of headstock is where I would keep my tools also but I have rounded headstock
                    Understood. In that case, how about making a flat wooden shelf to sit on top of the headstock? Once in place, I bet you would wonder why you hadn't done it years ago. Edging all around and rubber mat in the middle.

And the tool is for quick-change toolholder bolt, not qctp nut.
                    Ah so - I have a socket on the bench for that one.

Back when I started my first physics degree, all 1st years had to spend one term in the main workshop. That way (hopefully) graduates would not drive the staff there mad by asking for the impossible. My first play with a lathe resulted in the chuck key going through the wall of the supervisor's office. He did not say anything - he did not NEED to. He just returned the key to the lathe bench. Since then, I have been a bit fanatical about putting tools in their right places.

Cheers
                    Roger

Comment

• Originally posted by rcaffin View Post
                      Understood. In that case, how about making a flat wooden shelf to sit on top of the headstock? Once in place, I bet you would wonder why you hadn't done it years ago. Edging all around and rubber mat in the middle.
                      Power switch/fwd/reverse switch gets on the way. But I have been tempted to re-locate it somewhere else since the current location is kind of hazard, forcing to constantly reach over spinning chuck when cutting threads.

I concentrate my efforts to keep the chuck key NOT in the chuck and so far I have managed to avoid flying chuck key-experience. But you can find the chuck key anywhere else than chuck on my shop!
                      Usually that bugger gets lost when I keep it in one hand and go digging for dravers...need two hands and mis-place the chuck key to bolts drawer or whatever flat surface nearby

Comment

• Power switch/fwd/reverse switch gets on the way. But I have been tempted to re-locate it somewhere else since the current location is kind of hazard, forcing to constantly reach over spinning chuck when cutting threads.

Not pretty.
                        Relocating the switch AWAY from 'over the chuck' would be extremely high on my list of priorities!

Cheers
                        Rogr

Comment

• This is one I've been working on for a few weeks, and now trying frantically to get a video edited and uploaded in time for Emma's toolmaking competition. I'm really happy with this one, it's a miniature tailstock turret to fit my watchmaker's lathe, of my own design but modeled after the Rivett tailstock turret.

I will start a separate thread for this one, with a build writeup, in progress photos, and a link to the final video. This was a heck of a project, nearly every step of the way things went wrong (most through my own fault, but some just dumb luck). I am in the process of making 8mm tooling now to fit it.

Max
                          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

• mr--pretty cool.
                            12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                            Index "Super 55" mill
                            18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                            7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                            24" State disc sander

Comment

• Sweet Turret, Max! The knurling looks really nice, and the positioning for the number stamps is very good.
                              -JP
                              --------------------------------------
                              Chance favors a prepared mind.
                              -Louis Pasteur

Comment

• Originally posted by jphonger View Post
                                Sweet Turret, Max! The knurling looks really nice, and the positioning for the number stamps is very good.
                                -JP
                                Thanks cuz! Used my laser eyeballs to line up them stamps.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
                                Max
                                http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X