Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like it. Very neat, very simple.
    I may borrow the table top design for future reference. Cheap way of creating a substantial top.

Comment

• Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
      ...Cheap way of creating a substantial top.
      I think you would give up flatness.
      12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
      Index "Super 55" mill
      18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
      7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
      24" State disc sander

Comment

• Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
        It's true that a lot would rely on the quality of the rectangular tubing. But if the tubing is decent this is a nice way to easily achieve a decent enough table for a lot of us occasional home welders. And I think that is the key here. No one is trying to say that this, or other "easy" tables are the way to go or even equivalent to the lovely "system" tables.

In the original thread on this table we saw a lot of fantastic tables. But a similar number of members posted that they were welding on far less ideal setups than the Tubular Table shown here. For them this would be great step up from a corner of their regular bench or as one guy posted the hunk of tree stump he used at one point. But at the same time it does not need the same sort of commitment level as the big tables with 3/8 or 1/2" thick tops and side aprons that have a 2" grid of holes overall. Those are tables to drool over.

But most of us just need something that gets us up off the floor or off the main work bench. And for that Matt's table is a pretty decent option. And it's easily more useful than the motorcycle lift that I'm committed to using as my own welding table.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          It's true that a lot would rely on the quality of the rectangular tubing. But if the tubing is decent this is a nice way to easily achieve a decent enough table for a lot of us occasional home welders. And I think that is the key here. No one is trying to say that this, or other "easy" tables are the way to go or even equivalent to the lovely "system" tables.

In the original thread on this table we saw a lot of fantastic tables. But a similar number of members posted that they were welding on far less ideal setups than the Tubular Table shown here. For them this would be great step up from a corner of their regular bench or as one guy posted the hunk of tree stump he used at one point. But at the same time it does not need the same sort of commitment level as the big tables with 3/8 or 1/2" thick tops and side aprons that have a 2" grid of holes overall. Those are tables to drool over.

But most of us just need something that gets us up off the floor or off the main work bench. And for that Matt's table is a pretty decent option. And it's easily more useful than the motorcycle lift that I'm committed to using as my own welding table.
          Agreed.

Comment

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...65#post1127565

That post shows the flatness after I adjusted the top with compressible cork shims. Flat to at least 10 thou across the peaks of each tube in the long axis and diagonals.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
              ...That post shows the flatness after I adjusted the top with compressible cork shims. Flat to at least 10 thou across the peaks of each tube in the long axis and diagonals.
              That would be coplanar at the high points, not flat.
              Index "Super 55" mill
              24" State disc sander

Comment

Doesn't matter. It's flat enough. We are welding. Warp is always an issue anyhow.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Comment

For any piece longer than 6 inches, its effectively flat. Anything smaller can be done on a small plate put on top of the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
                    For any piece longer than 6 inches, its effectively flat. Anything smaller can be done on a small plate put on top of the table.
                    My point that it is not flat will become noticeable when tacking small brackets to tube frames, for example, where a small plate is of no use.
                    Index "Super 55" mill
                    24" State disc sander

Comment

My point that it is not flat will become noticeable when tacking small brackets to tube frames, for example, where a small plate is of no use.
                      That's a valid observation. But if the error is only 10 thou or so is it really a concern? For some folks and some jobs I guess it could be. But for those times one could make other arrangements to hold such tabs or use care to move the main frame so the tab being tacked sits on one of the lines along the tubes which is in contact with the frame.

Again, it's not a table that would suit a day in and day out welder doing serious stuff. Someone like that deserves and can really use one of the other more serious and much more expensive to buy or build "system" tables.

But this one started out as a table to use for a home shop to get the poor bloke up off the floor or off some other even less suitable table for occasional jobs. It's a table that will likely be used anywhere from 20 to 60 hours worth of use per year if Matt is a typical home shop sort that does this for fun and perhaps the occasional job to earn beer money. And for that level of occasional use I'd still say it's darn nice.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• I like it! I don't build stuff for NASA, so it would work great for me. Got to make a trip the the metal recyclers.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                        Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          ...if the error is only 10 thou or so...
                          Please. Not even possible. The error is many times greater than 0.010" in flatness. Rectangular tube often arrives with football shaped cross section (with the ends squared) and not perfectly straight along their length.
                          Index "Super 55" mill
                          24" State disc sander

Comment

• Simple enough to shim your project and make it flat in space like you do with any welding table found in a home shop.
                            I wouldn't totally rely on any table.
                            Len

Comment

• Hey guys - it's a welding table, not a surface plate.

Cheers
                              Roger

Comment

• Originally posted by rcaffin View Post
                                Hey guys - it's a welding table, not a surface plate.

Cheers
                                Roger
                                LOL.
                                Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X