Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
    Never happened before but recently it seems like my whole shop is being magnetized...

I wonder how I can degauss the whole shop...

Nice tool!!!

Pete
    That would be a nuke. Although I would not want to do that.
    12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
    Logan 825 - work in progress
    My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
    Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

• Made this mag base lamp after having a hard time finding one I liked online. Partly wanting to use it for lighting tight spots when welding, as its annoying trying to aim the gun when I can't see through the electronic mask in a dim inside corner.

Two 19" microphone goosenecks threaded together, a base with M8 screw to attach to a cheap mag base, and a tripod ball head to swivel the end around for better aiming. The bulb is a GU10 from the dollar store soldered on the wires that run up through the gooseneck. Only thing I don't like is the base where the wires exit and I have a cable clamp as a strain relief. Still working on a cosmetic fix for that part.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nice. Regarding the strain relief, it's probably massively over-complicating things (but that is my forté!) but could you thread the entry hole into the base and then make up a two part sort of nipple?
        First part screws into the base and is through-drilled to take the wires. Tapered and with a thread on the OD near the base. Insulation of the wire (sheath) then goes over that and a second part goes over the top and clamps the sheath against the first part. Might even exist off the shelf.

Also, if you take the guts out of some paracord of the right thickness, it make quite a nice sheath for the exposed wires.

Comment

• Nice Lamp. I looked up the GU10 bulbs on Amazon, looks like there are LED and Halogen bulbs with that number? I need all the light I can get with my poor old eyes.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

• GU10 is the form factor. You can get them in halogens up to about 50W. Lots of light, fairly tight beam but lots of heat - often enough to wreck the fitting; certainly enough to burn skin. LED versions are very variable. Lots of poor offerings with low output and flickery but the good ones are cool enough to handle when they're at full temp and give a similar 600+ lumens to a 50W halogen at a tenth of the wattage. May or may not be dimmer friendly. Last a lot longer than halogens, which you seem to spend half your life changing.

Comment

• Thanks Cenedd, I see that Amazon also sells the GU10 sockets for about a $1 each. That make it a little more do-able now. Machine a shade/socket holder and add a switch and flex fittings and base, and SHAZAMM a very cool lighting fixture.

Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
                Never happened before but recently it seems like my whole shop is being magnetized...

I wonder how I can degauss the whole shop...

Pete
                A few turns of Stout Copper around the outside walls, a big variac to turn the power up and back down? Hey Presto, your shop's the degausser!

Seriously, I had good results with the degaussing coil out of an old 28" tube TV taped under a wooden workbench, push button switch feeding mains through the coil's original thermistor (robbed from the TV's PCBs) - now I have a surplus bulk tape demagnetiser that was being thrown out by the IT dept' at work.

Dave H. (the other one)
                Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post
                  A few turns of Stout Copper around the outside walls, a big variac to turn the power up and back down? Hey Presto, your shop's the degausser!

Seriously, I had good results with the degaussing coil out of an old 28" tube TV taped under a wooden workbench, push button switch feeding mains through the coil's original thermistor (robbed from the TV's PCBs) - now I have a surplus bulk tape demagnetiser that was being thrown out by the IT dept' at work.

Dave H. (the other one)
                  If I could find an old TV I would have it made! Around here they are gone...

If I had enough wire on hand I would make a big coil. I know how to degausse a ship but that's a bit much...

I'll have to make something. I found that one of the bench vises is now magnetized!!

Pete
                  1973 SB 10K .
                  BenchMaster mill.

Comment

• A magnetised vise?
                    I would be trying to find out what is causing all this!

Cheers
                    Roger

Comment

• I made up a diamond dresser for my bench grinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mIXjcelBVQ

There is a full set of drawings on my blog.
                      www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

• I just watched the video of the diamond dresser build. Question, what was the white lubricant he used while sawing and some machining?

Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                          I just watched the video of the diamond dresser build. Question, what was the white lubricant he used while sawing and some machining?
                          It's bacon grease or lard. I've posted a few things on here about it. Works great and the shop smells like bacon.

All kidding aside it is a good lubricant and is non toxic. I also like that it changes state - easy to brush on and stays put.
                          www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

• If you use a pencil grinder much this is a handy little stand I made. I move around the shop a lot, so this makes it all portable to any work station where there's compressed air. I made the stand out of a piece of aluminum extrusion that's used to make fixtures, railings, etc. I attached a plate of aluminum to the bottom for a base. The top is a plastic piece designed to fit the extrusion, with a lifting ring screwed into it. On the right side (behind the regulator) is a chunk of black Delrin I used to make a holster of sorts to hold the grinder. The regulator has a water trap, regulator, and lubricator all-in-one. Plug in an air hose on the left side, and you're ready to play home dentist! (Sorry; I tried everything to get picture right-side up)
                            [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• ER32 collet chuck for the lathe:

Comment

• Nice, that looks great. What material did you use for that collet chuck? Looks like it machined and threaded nicely, whatever it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X