No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a spindle drawbar wrench/hammer for my PM-30MV. The drawbar is 12mm square so I used a 1/2" drive impact extension for it's square hole. Replaceable aluminum face. Works great.
    Last edited by JCByrd24; 04-24-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Nice, looks like a work of art on the wood background.

Comment

• Wire clamp tool

Took a break from telling the same old stories with the same old guys at work today and made this over my breaks. Always wanted one, but too cheap to buy one. I need to re-hose my gas cans this weekend (another project I'll share), and wanted to put something better looking than gear clamps back on. I don't get to work with brass very often, but I always like the look of it in finished projects, especially against the black oxide.

Going to try and do this a lot more. I always complain I never have enough time to work on my own projects. The reality is I have lots of time, I just need to utilize it better. I have some 0XA lathe tool holders that have been sitting on my desk for almost 2 years now. They're next.....maybe. Also have 1/4 of a rotary broach sitting there too.

Comment

• Hi Dan,

When you say "wire clamp tool" are you making them with this tool? How does this tool work? curious minds ( more than just me i'm sure ) want to know!

TX
          Mr fixit for the family
          Chris

Comment

• I made one of those hose clamp tools a while back after I saw one. It works great, I tried it a few times and now it just hangs there collecting dust. If you have a need, they are great.
            Last edited by lugnut; 04-18-2018, 09:15 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
              Hi Dan,

When you say "wire clamp tool" are you making them with this tool? How does this tool work? curious minds ( more than just me i'm sure ) want to know!

TX
              Mr fixit for the family
              Chris
              Sorry, here's a video showing it's use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of9p70H7gdg Link might work better
              Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 04-18-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dan Dubeau;1172178]Sorry, here's a video showing it's use
                Um may I be the first to mention that the video isn't working or its invisible or- well whatever!

Comment

• If you have "noscript" or adblocker you would see nothing if youtube is not enabled. Try clicking on this for
                  Dan Dubeau's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of9p70H7gdg
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• I made a couple of those last year, one for the workshop and one to carry on my motorcycle for emergency repairs. Turned out to be a good item to have after I smashed the footpeg and sidestand off on a boulder going up a rough road to a fishing lake. Used the wire to tie it back together enough to get out of there and back home.

Comment

• That is definitely on my next project list.
                      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• I made a couple of those and some other designs as well. what I finally did to the one like yours is I milled the end flat about 3/16 thick and left the little notch in it and it is much easier to use. My favorite one is made from like pliers that work in reverse and open when you close the handle not pretty but much faster to use. I use the system all the time for water hoses and all my air lines. and carry one in my 5th wheel and my offroad buggy. and one in the garage. In a bind (sorry about that) you can use a pop rivet gun and tighen by feeding the wires in to the rivet gun and squeeze

https://i.imgur.com/vowoMKMm.jpg

Last edited by Ed ke6bnl; 04-19-2018, 03:25 PM.
                        Ed
                        Agua Dulce, So.California
                        1950 F1 street rod
                        1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
                        1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
                        1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
                        1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

• There is another video describing the wire clamping tool on You Tube. The tool is less elegantly constructed than the one in the video presented here, but accomplished the same effect. The originator was dragged over the coals for wasting time making this tool when a hose clamp would suffice. I offered an opinion of support and defense to the maker of the tool and reaped a whirlwind of criticism for my comments as well though I stand behind them.

If you'd like to read the discussion (not that long) go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwueAesB3ts and scroll down the page till you see my handle "DATo DATonian" and read my comments as well as those of the detractors under "Replies".

Comment

• reaped a whirlwind of criticism for my comments
                            Have not read the thread, but my sympathies. Been there. It seems some people are incapable of saying anything on the interwebs unless it is negative.
                            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

• I am glad this tool was posted, I learned how to do something that can be accomplished with very little expense and materials that are usually on hand, and will solve a problem in less time than a trip to the store and looks good!
                              Thanks to the OP!

Comment

• Needed a 29mm crows foot to remove a bent tie rod on my yamaha viking. Cut off the end of an old 1" wrench and ground it out to 29mm, fired up the tig welder for the first time in about 6 months (can you tell lol?) and stuck a 1/2" female socket adapter to it. Worked great, and got the rod straightened out pretty good and reinstalled. Took the time while I had the tie rod out to take all the critical measurements and may have a go at making some beefier ones. They are very spindly. I don't want to make them too stout and wind up taking out my rack too, but the way this one bent was pretty ridiculous.
                                Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 04-26-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X