No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice. Good job you don't live near me! "You know your heat-treat oven..."!
    Everyone needs a surface grinder....and the space to put it *sigh* Pretty sure I'd need a divorce lawyer too if I tried to buy one anyway!

Comment

• Beautiful job Matt. What did it cost to build this?

Jack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack F View Post
        Beautiful job Matt. What did it cost to build this?

Jack.
        It wasn't too bad. About $100 for the brick, $60 for the flat bar and sheet metal, $30 for the heater wire, $30 for the timer unit, $12 for the big LED lamps, $15 for the power meter module. The rest of the stuff was in my junk bins and scraps from work.

Comment

• Did you do a build thread on your oven Matt? If not, will you pretty please?
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Another vote for a build thread on that, and especially a section on the controller. I've been wanting to build one like this myself, nice work!

Comment

• Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
              Did you do a build thread on your oven Matt? If not, will you pretty please?
              I did have a thread talking about my issues with Nichrome wire, initally. I did not know about "surface load" at the time.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...me-Heater-Wire

I got a lot of my info from this guy's blog post, including my brick layout as I found the same bricks from a local pizza oven supply.

http://dcknives.blogspot.ca/p/electric-forge.html

I could do a bigger post with more pictures if it was wanted. My coil would greatly benefit from 2x the groove length so I could stretch it out longer, but by the time I was learning that I'd need kanthal and not nichrome, and that the surface load was way too high, there wasn't much I could do as the oven was glued together already.

Comment

• Originally posted by tinkertoy41 View Post
                With all the Threads about grinding tool bits maybe this will help!!!!
                The company below is reproducing the SB grinding fixture with capacity to 1/2" square.
                Should help get a tool that cuts right the first time!

http://alisam.com/tool-bit-grinding-gage-jig.html

Tinkertoy1941
                the first project in the book "the shop wisdom of D. E. Johnson " is one of those grinding jigs. if you want to roll you own.
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• Very good link; thanks for posting it Matt.
                  Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• I started putting together a torch cooler for my newly-acquired TIG welder, and realised I was going to have trouble making space for Jubilee (worm-drive) hose clamps and would need a lot of 'em, saw the ClampTite wire tool and though "I can make one of those" - it worked out pretty easily, a few holes drilled in some aluminium tube (clearance bore for 8mm all-threadalike) and a pair of slots angle-grindered, I DID have to buy a wingnut, though...

Here it is in all its inglory, alongside the cooler's pressure-pulsation damper (I'm using a diaphragm pump)

The business end - a piece of M12 all-threadalike Loctited in the drilled and tapped end of the tube, then the lot spun in a drill against the bench grinder, finally slitted with a 1mm cutting disc in the angle grinder:

And... the end result, 0.8mm / 0.032" stainless lockwire on a clear PVC tube over an 8mm (5/16") hose barb,

Crude, but very effective and I put it together in 15 minutes - delivery if I'd bought one would have been a few days!

Dave H. (the other one)
                    Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post
                      Crude, but very effective and I put it together in 15 minutes - delivery if I'd bought one would have been a few days!

Dave H. (the other one)
                      Very nice, Dave. There are a lot of people out there who simply cannot grasp how these can possibly be better than normal screw/gear adjusting hose clamps.

I suspect most of them would appreciate these after making and using them a few times.

Dan L
                      Salem, Oregon

Comment

• what is better, this type or the one where you wind the wire onto a handle?

Comment

• I had to "invent" my own version of wire tool also:

Extra small version with friction lock for cramped spaces. Can be tightened with 10mm wrench or 5mm allen key.
                          5x6mm piece of POM acts as a slip block and spring for the friction (set) screw, works surprisingly well and shaft is pretty consistent and stiff to turn.
                          Last edited by MattiJ; 05-14-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                            I had to "invent" my own version of wire tool also:

Extra small version with friction lock for cramped spaces. Can be tightened with 10mm wrench or 5mm allen key.
                            5x6mm piece of POM acts as a slip block and spring for the friction (set) screw, works surprisingly well and shaft is pretty consistent and stiff to turn.
                            Am I right in thinking the cross-piece is drilled and the wire is fed through the drillings?

Right or not, that's a handy tool I may steal it

Dave H. (the other one)
                            Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

• Yeah, "cross-shaft" is drilled' with 1,5mm holes.

Comment

• Good looking tool MattiJ. Now, you just made my clamp tool obsolete. Oh well I needed to make another tool anyways.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                                Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...
                                X