Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mars-red View Post
    ... a weak spring washer, ... to keep some light preload to preserve the pleasant feel.
    I like that idea. Having play in such a finely made tool would be really annoying.

    Comment


    • Whipped up a dial bore gauge in a day yesterday. It uses a DTI for a consistent spring force.

      I saw the design around online and thought it would work well for me in some situations. Worked up my own version. Uses a 5/16-24 and 10-32 differential thread for fine adjustment.


      Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • Nice design and nice workmanship.
        Please tell us about the finish on the aluminum parts.
        And the tiny chamfer, was that done by hand?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by 0zzie34231 View Post
          Nice design and nice workmanship.
          Please tell us about the finish on the aluminum parts.
          And the tiny chamfer, was that done by hand?
          The material is cast 3/4 x 2" aluminum bar, some scrap I found. Chamfers were roughed on a strip sander. I wetsanded on 320 paper to get the flats surface finish and chamfers cleaned up.

          Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
            Whipped up a dial bore gauge in a day yesterday. It uses a DTI for a consistent spring force.

            I saw the design around online and thought it would work well for me in some situations. Worked up my own version. Uses a 5/16-24 and 10-32 differential thread for fine adjustment.


            Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
            Dumb question.? Hows it work and what is it for?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by plunger View Post
              Dumb question.? Hows it work and what is it for?
              It's intended for checking bores and bosses, pretty much anything I suppose. In particular, places that are hard to measure like a shallow bore. Doesn't require removal from the lathe or mill to use.

              An example with a bearing ID, set the gauge roughly by eye and lock the one sliding piece, sweep it in the bore while adjusting the differential screw to get the DTI zeroed, then repeat with the calipers but adjust the calipers until the DTI reads zero. Then read off the calipers. Substitue calipers for micrometer, gage blocks, reference bore etc. Depending on the accuracy you're looking for.

              Alternatively, zero the DTI on a known reference and then check the unknown bore to find the difference.


              Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
                I saw the design around online and thought it would work well for me in some situations.
                Where did you see it online? I've built my own version and would like to see how others have done it.
                Regards, Marv

                Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

                Location: LA, CA, USA

                Comment


                • Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                  Where did you see it online? I've built my own version and would like to see how others have done it.
                  This one I saw

                  https://www.cnccookbook.com/shopmade...indi-calipers/

                  And this one

                  https://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1771.0

                  I think theres an HSM thread from 2010 talking about these but the images on there are mostly dead.

                  Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • Interesting how things come back around. That second URL references my post about George Britnell's tool.
                    Regards, Marv

                    Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

                    Location: LA, CA, USA

                    Comment


                    • Measuring a bore for a bearing is a perfect example. Trying to hit within a tenth or two is tough. Got to make one!
                      Cheers, Ozzie

                      Comment


                      • Carriage stop for my Logan
                        san jose, ca. usa

                        Comment


                        • Nice piece of threading. Does the Logan have some sort of clutch or is it just for manual feeding?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                            Nice piece of threading. Does the Logan have some sort of clutch or is it just for manual feeding?
                            it has a clutch, but I made it for manual feed at the end of the cut. I tend to creep.
                            I should add, the design is based on the one in D.E. Johnson's book. the knobs had to be modified to fit my lathe.
                            Last edited by gambler; 08-04-2018, 08:21 PM.
                            san jose, ca. usa

                            Comment


                            • Some great ideas on this forum. Thanks to all who have contributed. I think I owe everyone a post after stealing several great ideas.

                              I’ve been interested in getting one of those handheld tungsten sharpeners, but couldn’t bring myself to spend the money.

                              Made this one that threads onto the end of a standard Dremel tool. I’ve seen these made by others before, but what killed me was throwing away a diamond disc because it wore out in the one spot the tungsten touches. So I held the Delrin body at a 20 degree angle, drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole 0.350” off centerline, indexed the part 60 degrees, moved 0.050” further off center, drilled and tapped, and repeated in six places. Made some bushings out of 1/4-20 shcs for 1/16” and 3/32” tungsten. I’ve been happy with it.





                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by walker9009 View Post
                                I’ve been interested in getting one of those handheld tungsten sharpeners, but couldn’t bring myself to spend the money.

                                Made this one that threads onto the end of a standard Dremel tool. [/IMG]
                                Very nicely done. I have 5 dremels... This looks like a good use to dedicate one to. Do you spin the electrodes by hand or using a drill?

                                Dan
                                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

                                Location: SF East Bay.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X