Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull gear build video

In case your are interested, here is the playlist for the construction of the pull gear.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hFK-lDeHUGjoDo

Regards,
    Preso

Comment

• 2 and 3 HP 1725/1500 rpm electric motors can be found for small money.

Just the ticket with a VFD at 15hz. for a press drill.

Celebrate the warrior! Condemn the war.

Comment

• With regards to visa ball fixture #3366 : I think I will make one with silicone sealant as flexible glue just to see how it performs. Might be good for hobby duty shop.

Comment

• Door stops

OK it's a "tool" and it was made in the "shop".

I happen to be cutting some wood/plastic composite deck boards (NORTH DEX 5-1/4" x 15/16" x 12', Menards' SKU 112-1000) at an angle. The drop was a small wedge. I said to myself: "Hey! That looks like a door stop wedge." So I tried it and it worked great. I tried it on a concrete floor...and on a hard wood floor...and on a carpeted floor...and on a tile floor. It never failed. I told other people in the building. Now people come from across campus to get them. Today I made "another" 50 door stops. I have no idea why they work so well. And, they don't compress from the sharp edge of the bottom of a door like wood, rubber and plastic ones do. I just set up the table saw with the miter gauge set to 5°. Make a across cut, flip the board upside down, make another cut, flip the board, make another cut...and on and on. I make varying thicknesses for doors that have a wider gap at the bottom. Maybe I should have deleted this post and gone into the business of selling my AMAZING DOOR STOPS...but I hate marketing.

Ken

Comment

• Another Shop Built Toe Jack

I've made several toe jacks over the years and never had any problems dropping a machine until recently when a relatively light machine slipped off the toe jack. So I decided to build a better one. The hydraulic jack is 3 ton and the shoe is pinned to the top of the jack screw pad which fits in a counter bored hole. The base is 1/2" plate which is really too thick, 3/8" would have been better. The shoe guides are 1/2" mild steel rods. Took about 8 hours to build, not counting painting.

Comment

• nice work. Remember you have a mechanical disadvantage with a toe jack when using the toe to lift. A 3 ton jack might be a little small, depending on what your lifting.

Comment

• Originally posted by quasi View Post
                ...Remember you have a mechanical disadvantage with a toe jack when using the toe to lift...
                What mechanical disadvantage. 3-tons is still 3-tons.
                12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                Index "Super 55" mill
                18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                24" State disc sander

Comment

• Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                  What mechanical disadvantage. 3-tons is still 3-tons.
                  on the centerline of the jack, yes. Your are lifting on the toe, say the middle of the toe. How many inches from the middle of the toe to the middle of the jack ram is it, 3 inches?

Comment

• Originally posted by quasi View Post
                    on the centerline of the jack, yes. Your are lifting on the toe, say the middle of the toe. How many inches from the middle of the toe to the middle of the jack ram is it, 3 inches?
                    No pivot point here so, same capacity as the jack
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                      No pivot point here so, same capacity as the jack
                      Minus X amount of friction and mechanical binding

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                        Minus X amount of friction and mechanical binding
                        Of course, but NO mechanical disadvantage.
                        12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                        Index "Super 55" mill
                        18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                        7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                        24" State disc sander

Comment

• I'm curious, how is this an improvement over your previous builds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
                            I'm curious, how is this an improvement over your previous builds?
                            I was really hoping no one would ask that. The two previous toe jack lifting toes were not attached or pinned to the jack lifting pad nor were there guides on the side of the toe fixture to keep it from shifting sideways.

Comment

• I like it, I can see a mod to mine in the future. Mine's a quick and dirty type I used to level my shed when the pier blocks settle enough the door wouldn't close. Thanks for posting!
                              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                              Oregon, USA

Comment

• Of course, but NO mechanical disadvantage.
                                Just so.

Lacking a 'toe jack', I just used a 6' x 1" spud bar (crow bar), with a suitable pivot.

Cheers
                                Roger

Comment

Working...
                                X