Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    I wonder if there's a way to keep the bottom from getting scratched with use.
    Acrylic is comparitively hard for a thermoplastic.

One could use 3 pieces of tape on the bottom to form a tripod a few thousanths thick in order to keep the base off the working surface.
    Bill Pendergrass
    Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
    Atlas TH42 QC10

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
      I wonder if there's a way to keep the bottom from getting scratched with use.
      Make one from sapphire optical flat

Comment

• Make one from sapphire optical flat
        Could be interesting - sapphire has a Mohr hardness of 9.
        Yes, you can machine it with diamond tooling, but slowly and under water.

Cheers
        Roger

Comment

• Iphone screen protector gorilla glass. Still need diamond to cut it without shattering probably but it already has an adhesive on it.

Comment

• Just use a diamond.
            Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
              Iphone screen protector gorilla glass. Still need diamond to cut it without shattering probably but it already has an adhesive on it.
              Find a friend with a waterjet to cut you a 'donut' of gorilla glass.

Comment

• My import boring head has both inch and metric screws. Kind of annoying. I took an old Ironhead Sportster pushrod and made this T-wrench so I have the right ones at hand.

My Craftsman 6x18 is currently in storage. There are times I still want to use those little chucks and faceplates. I took a 1” bull plug and made this 1x10 adapter so I can chuck them up in the 8” chuck on my ENCO.

Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by plunger View Post
                  Whats the business end look like? Is it just a punch. Looks clumsy to use.

I don't know what Bob's would be like to use, but the optical punch from Grizzly works great for me.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...unch-Set/H5781

Comment

• [QUOTE=Tim The Grim;1199308]My import boring head has both inch and metric screws. Kind of annoying. I took an old Ironhead Sportster pushrod and made this T-wrench so I have the right ones at hand.

My Craftsman 6x18 is currently in storage. There are times I still want to use those little chucks and faceplates. I took a 1” bull plug and made this 1x10 adapter so I can chuck them up in the 8” chuck on my ENCO.

For the sake and mental health of Sportster pushrods worldwide, i hope the pushrod was already damaged or bent prior to your modification.........
                    nice work by the way...

Comment

• I've got some from a Norton if you need Whitworth.
                      Len

Comment

• Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                        I've got some from a Norton if you need Whitworth.
                        Naah, it'd vibrate too much & be too slippery from the oil leaks to tighten anything!
                        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
                          Naah, it'd vibrate too much & be too slippery from the oil leaks to tighten anything!
                          Yeah, but it would be classy while it did that. After all, it's a Norton!

Dan
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
                            Yeah, but it would be classy while it did that. After all, it's a Norton!

Dan
                            And it would go round corners and have decent stopping distances.........

Comment

• Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                              And it would go round corners and have decent stopping distances.........
                              Yeah but it wouldn't look as good.
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                                Yeah but it wouldn't look as good.
                                Hard to tell what kind of motorcycle it is with that picture.
                                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                                X