X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks like a sportster
    san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• Just asking "Why not just chuck the smaller chuck in the three jaw larger chuck"
      It would be a much better way!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tinkertoy41 View Post
        Just asking "Why not just chuck the smaller chuck in the three jaw larger chuck"
        It would be a much better way!!
        How many chucks would you chuck in a chuck if you could and would chuck, chucks?

More seriously though, it's probably so he doesn't have to flip the jaws around. Plus now you can grab that chuck in a mill vise and hold round stock quickly and easily on end for milling.

Comment

• Originally posted by gambler View Post
          looks like a sportster
          Yup. 74 Iron Head Sportster.
          This better?
          Last edited by Dave C; 10-17-2018, 05:48 PM.
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
            Yup. 74 Iron Head Sportster.
            This better?
            http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/att...7&d=1499274385
            Nope. Still a Harley.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
              Nope. Still a Harley.

Dan
              My first bike, many years ago, was a Harley. It was all I could afford. A 1936 EL. One was enough.

BUT: I'd *love* to have a KR. Around 30 years ago a guy in my neighborhood rode one - lights and tiny mufflers somehow made it street legal. Not so fast, but a huge part of American flat track history.

-js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Yeah, I have to admit that I'd like to have a KR too. The way they dominated the dirt track... Phenomenal.

That's my dirty little secret. There is a Harley that I'd ride.
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• I owned this ‘76CH for 31 years. Traded it in 2 years ago after I needed a new right knee. I changed pushrods every 3 years so I have lots of left overs. Even a set still in the wrapper. Needless to say I did some machining in a few spots.

That last one was me in ‘80 on my divorced KHK project. Bought the bike as a bobber in ‘70. The trans blew out a few years later so I got creative. Still own it. In pieces waiting for me to retire next August. No pushrods in that one.
                  Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                  9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• The Flattie is gorgeous.
                    I always used to talk my Sportster owning friends into letting me cut away the stock timing cover... So much better.....

Comment

• Guys, maybe a separate thread to discuss bikes?

Comment

• I had a "Can of tuna". First and only "vehicle" I bought new. Put over 10K miles on it and sold it when I had kids because thats what happens.

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                          Guys, maybe a separate thread to discuss bikes?
                          Hello.......
                          Helder Ferreira
                          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• Was in the shop for a "quick" job. You know how that goes, right?! Just needed to face off the pip from parting off the piece but don't have the right size collet - and not prepared to spend £20 for an odd-size collet (ER32-23mm) I'll likely never use again.
                            Grudgingly swapped chucks (yes, I'm lazy and this was supposed to be a quick job!) for the three jaw only to find that the chuck key has gone walkabout.....as they seem to do. No problem, the mill is back together enough to sort this out in a hurry. Cue a comedy of errors from vice not being square (already mounted for a job that didn't need it square) to cutter sliding up the collet to bar being bent. Ended up (after much swearing) machining a larger bar so it was straight....and then it obviously got out of hand as I spent the rest of the day 'doing it properly'. Still haven't faced off that pip I started for!

Not sure whether to flute the sides as in Tom Lipton's Snap-off chuck key or just call it done and get on with the original job in hand.

Comment

• Very nice work!

Comment

• Thanks Shoprat. It's a little overkill.....but if something's worth doing ....and I like overkill

Comment

Working...
                                X