Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished making a pair of collet drawtubes for my little watchmaker's lathe, to fit WW collets. I'm going to post up a separate thread with some build details and more photos, and am also working on a video about it, but here are the finished items. As Stephan says, they resemble something I might actually want to use. Anyway, they are 416 stainless with handles made from some kind of wood that's trying pretty hard to look like mahogany (no idea what it is). The screws are O1, and of course the retaining plates are brass.

Max
    http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

• hello
      here is one quick and dirty for job i needed supported, but didn't have true center (and also yet I don't have steady rest for my lathe).
      lets call this one "SPIDERCENTER"

Comment

• Max, Beautiful!
        That wood sure looks like teak to me.

Cheers,
        Jon

Comment

• My phone was full and I found some pictures of projects I did on summer that didn't posted yet.

I have a lot of problems getting things square. My vise fix jaw deflects too much, so I bought some import small angle plates. They were way off (0.1mm in 100mm), I made a big one some time ago and is quite better. So it's about time to learn scraping! Following Stefang Gotteswinter design I made a squarness comparator, plus following Clough42 I made a hand scraper.

Also made a wireless touch probe, compatible with my TTS ATC. This deserves a longer post on itself, but I still have not used it, have some problems reading the IR signal.

Comment

• Devilhunter, that's nice work!!
            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
            Oregon, USA

Comment

• Nicely done Devilhunter. Looking forward to the details on the wireless touch probe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
                Max, Beautiful!
                That wood sure looks like teak to me.

Cheers,
                Jon
                Just been researching, I'm not a wood guy at all. From everything I've read, I feel pretty sure it isn't teak. The dust was very dry, not sticky at all, the grain is coarse rather than fine, and it's definitely reddish rather than golden. It also didn't feel oily or slick at all. Whatever it is, I really like the way it looks... even though it's bits of dead tree carcass. :-)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                Max

Comment

• Might it be red oak, Max? That has a dry dust, and the grain and color look about right.
                  Steve
                  NRA Life Member

Comment

• Paduk ?
                    Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by mars-red View Post
                      Just been researching, I'm not a wood guy at all. From everything I've read, I feel pretty sure it isn't teak. The dust was very dry, not sticky at all, the grain is coarse rather than fine, and it's definitely reddish rather than golden. It also didn't feel oily or slick at all. Whatever it is, I really like the way it looks... even though it's bits of dead tree carcass. :-)

Fastest way to sort out teak is to sniff it. Kind of unique smell that is easy to distinguish.
                      But you would need the reference sample to start with if you have never sniffed wood blocks

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                        Fastest way to sort out teak is to sniff it. Kind of unique smell that is easy to distinguish.
                        But you would need the reference sample to start with if you have never sniffed wood blocks
                        Lol! Well when I put it up to my nose all I smell is lost hope and broken dreams. [emoji23]

Max

Comment

• As a long time wood worker I'll offer as a 90 percent probability that wood you all are discussing is Luann (Philippine Mahogany) . I've used it and have some "art works" :-) from there made of it. .
                          ...lew...

Comment

• I'm with Lew. It's got all the right signs of being Philippine mahogany... a locally used name for luan. It's a very common wood for baseboards and other uses locally when folks want "mahogany" but won't spend the money for real mahogany. Nothing wrong with that though. Although more open grained and split prone than some other hardwoods it's quite durable and you'll certainly never wear it out or break it, shy of dropping them onto the hard floor, for the handles you did.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• I thought luan too, but the color doesn't look just right in the picture. That may be an effect of the lighting.

Max, if you have a sizeable scrap of the wood left could you post head-on picture of the side of the board?

Luan often shows strange looking changes in the grain pattern, hard to describe but it looks as if the grain just suddenly takes off in a different direction. I'll see if I can get a picture of that effect to Post with tapatalk. That is if I can remember how
                              Last edited by J Harp; 11-27-2018, 07:12 PM. Reason: Add missing word, paragraph.
                              Jim

Comment

• Couldn't find any luan big enough to show what it looks like, I'll find it when I'm not looking for it.
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X