Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MH--I like the machinery moving set.
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

    Comment


    • Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
      Not really a shop made tool, but they are very useful around the shop. Got some tools that often need an Allen wrench or two for general use? Stick one of these on the machine and they magically hold the Allen wrench on the machine already ready to be used. Need to find studs in a wall or ceiling? Let a bunch of these show you the location and direction of the studs (nails/screws).
      I hate the idea of attaching Allen keys to machines with magnets. Partly because everything being/getting magnetic is one of the banes of my shop; but at least in part due to the fact that I tried this idea with a drill chuck key...and just repeatedly ended up with an empty magnet and a missing chuck key. This could just be my utter failure though!

      I love the idea of (temporarily) marking the screws in stud walls though. Genius, that!

      Comment


      • Pin vise

        I made a shop made pin vise. Have been using it for some time. I love it. Images and video attached.









        12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
        Logan 825 - work in progress
        My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
        Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
        Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

        Comment


        • Make me want to marry pump action screwdriver and countersink/deburr
          Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
            Make me want to marry pump action screwdriver and countersink/deburr
            I use one of these in low gear, works great.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
              I use one of these in low gear, works great.

              https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg
              Small makita is what I'm also using.
              Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                Small makita is what I'm also using.
                I use a DeWalt 18 volt drill for a lot of hole deburring but also have a hand tool to hold a countersink for use on the lathe.

                Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

                THINK HARDER

                BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

                MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                  I use one of these in low gear, works great.

                  I wish my Dewalt drill had 3 LEDs like that. The single led on the Dewalt is more of a hindrance than a help. Creates a shadow that hides the target.
                  “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

                  Lewis Grizzard

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                    I wish my Dewalt drill had 3 LEDs like that. The single led on the Dewalt is more of a hindrance than a help. Creates a shadow that hides the target.
                    The new Dewalt driver have 3 leds

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                      MH--I like the machinery moving set.
                      Thanks, ezduzit.
                      Finding creative ways to turn material into scrap for decades.

                      Current Machines:
                      South Bend 13” Lathe (being rebuilt)
                      Bridgeport Mill (step pully J)
                      Garvin 2A horizontal mill
                      Ohio 20” shaper
                      Harbor Freight 4x6 band saw

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                        Not really a shop made tool, but they are very useful around the shop. Got some tools that often need an Allen wrench or two for general use? Stick one of these on the machine and they magically hold the Allen wrench on the machine already ready to be used. Need to find studs in a wall or ceiling? Let a bunch of these show you the location and direction of the studs (nails/screws). I also "soft" mount things so the side of machines with 4 of these on each corner of the magnetic item -- like soft mounting an electrical box so it "breaks-away" if under stress. The steel cabinet door on my surface grinder didn't stay closed by itself until I tossed one of these little guys on the inside lip of the door -- now the door stays closed with the help of some magnetic force. Changing the oil in your machines? Drop some of these in there to help some of the floating bits from circulating around your gear boxes... Are you dying to give yourself a really good finger pinch? Let two of these guys do it for you... Many, many uses around the shop...

                        1/2" x 1/8" Neodymium magnets (If link is broken just search for the prior text)
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-100-500p...c/302030262749

                        1/2" x 1/4" Neodymium magnets (If link is broken just search for the prior text)
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-10-25pc-1...c/302030266388




                        I got:

                        The seller's store is closed for vacation. Check back later.
                        Andy

                        Comment


                        • Shop made HVAC crimping pliers.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            Shop made HVAC crimping pliers.
                            What did they start out as?


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Joe From NY View Post
                              What did they start out as?


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              linesman pliers. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...for-old-Pliers

                              Comment


                              • Those are slick! Nice thinking!
                                Andy

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X