Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just happened to notice this threads ten-year anniversary is in a few days. It has been a great read. Thanks for that. Happy birthday, Thread.

Comment

• I'm considering something of the same sort to use as a two part vise for my mill table to hold larger items than what will fit in my regular mill vise.

But one possible aspect that arose from looking into these is that if the jaws are at all tall that a bending load will be put into the base (mill table in my case and the bigger flat of your angle plate in yours) that will result in it springing to an arched shape that is proportional to the force used to clamp the item and the height of the jaws. Now we need to hold the items firmly. So clamping is a must. But at least I can limit the jaw height to minimize the bending force that is trying to arch the table (or base of the plate). With that in mind I'm wondering if you would be able to do most of the jobs you want to do with more like a 1 or 1.25" tall jaw set and with the pusher screws that much closer to the plate. And 1.25" is what I'm considering for the height of the jaws on my two piece table vise as a result as well.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Yea, the 2 in. tall jaws are probably overkill, I was thinking like an AngLock. When mounted on the angle plate, the part will be clamped dead against the plate to maintain verticality (?). Same on the table, or on minimum height parallels to get clearance for drilling or milling through. 1.25 high jaws should be more than adequate. To minimize flexing, make the jaws wider than tall. I couldn't do that due to space limitations on the angle plate. I tested it today by flycutting the end of a piece of 5/8 x 3 aluminum. Came out as square as my eyes can detect with my "inspection" square.

One major difference with a table vise is the moving jaw is infinitely adjustable, so the screw can be quite short.

Last edited by MrWhoopee; 01-17-2020, 05:23 PM.
        It's all mind over matter.
        If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Rob View Post
          Just happened to notice this threads ten-year anniversary is in a few days. It has been a great read. Thanks for that. Happy birthday, Thread.
          Thanks for the kind words Rob. I started this thread to keep from getting bored on a winter trip to Arizona. The night before we left I went out to my toolbox and started taking pictures and 12,500,000 views later it is still getting attention. I sure do wish photosuckit hadn't messed up all the pictures though.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• Originally posted by bborr01 View Post

Thanks for the kind words Rob. I started this thread to keep from getting bored on a winter trip to Arizona. The night before we left I went out to my toolbox and started taking pictures and 12,500,000 views later it is still getting attention. I sure do wish photosuckit hadn't messed up all the pictures though.

Brian
            This thread is the reason I joined this site, and then later discovered the magazine and village press. It has the most views of any forum I have seen in 25 years on the Internet. I do believe it should be edited into its own book.

Comment

• I believe it was also what lead me to join. I know I had this thread bookmarked before I posted anything, and then I decided it would be a good community to share (eh lets call it what is is: show off) my royersford. So yeah, I would say bborr brought me along too, for that I must thank him.
              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

This thread is the reason I joined this site, and then later discovered the magazine and village press. It has the most views of any forum I have seen in 25 years on the Internet. I do believe it should be edited into its own book.
                Village press did print a couple of magazine style publications based on the shop made tools thread. I'm not sure if they are still in stock but they were a few years ago. Maybe check with George on that.
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• I received a set of R8 collets for Christmas. Included in the set is a 1" size collet. Now as we all know, 7/8" is about as large as most R8 collets come due to the diameter, so in order to make a 1" collet the manufacturer of this imported wonder creation had to extend the length of the collet and I crease the diameter of the collet beyond what the R8 taper at Max diameter is. Its a dangerous looking tool. The depth of the finished bore that holds 1" dia tooling is about 1.125" deep. There is no way I would put a 1" endmill in this thing and start hogging! The entire endmill will be outside of the spindle! There are only 3 "petals" or "jaws" holding the endmill! Anyways, I've had this so called collet for a while and I've not known what to do with it... Until now!

The other day I was contemplating different ways to implement a grinder to take advantage of my X and Y axis's. I have a 4 jaw independent Chuck that I mount to a 4" rotary table. The jaws gripping surface (when jaws are mounted in the traditional direction) is not perpendicular to jaw travel nor parallel to the rotation axis of Chuck/table. In other words, when I tried to grip an endmill to sharpen the end edges, it wobbled. The end mill was gripped tightly at the end inserted furthest into the chuck, but was loose at the "top" of the jaws. Further measuremental investigative practices revealed the jaw gripping surface needs to be reground to correct the issue.

I was looking at all of my die grinders and try to determine if any of them would be suitable to adapt to my existing machine and accurately grind the jaws while mounted in the chuck. I have a bunch of the cheap, 90 degree angle, high speed die from fees from HF and Tractor Supply. While holding one and looking at the head of it it looked like it was around an inch in diameter. Measuring revealed a direct correlation between the head and 1.053 on my Pittsburgh digital caliper. So I took the grinder, gripped on the outer portion of the collet with my wonky 4 jaw chuck that's mounted to the rotary table, chucked up a 2" grinding wheel and proceeded to grind off some of the head material while rotating the grinder through about 270 degrees of rotation around the grinders own spindle bearings. Got it shaved down close enough.

Next thing I did was remove one of the "petals" or " jaws" of the previously discussed engineering fiasco that is a 1" R8 collet. I left about 0.125" on the petal I cut off above the 1" bore floor. There is a little bit of the grinders head that goes down to the floor in that region.

Next step for me to do is post pictures of all this. I took some, but will take more. Then I can finally test it out. The goal was to find an easy way to mount something that I can mount a little grinding stone or whatever to. If this works I'll have a 90 degree die grinder that has the handle out to the side while the "head" of the grinder is inline with spindle on my milling machine. I can then theoretically do semi-precision, amateur, learn as I go grinding (possibly ruining some things). I'll get pics of this contraption up soon (I hope).

Comment

• Pics: we NEED them!
                    Cheers
                    Roger

Comment

Working...
                    X